UK - London - Brentford, Switzerland - Zug Posted Date:
Oct 6 2021Senior AI/ML Engineer - Biomedical AI
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of Machine Learning and AI will allow us to develop transformational medicines using the power of genetics, functional genomics and machine learning. AI will also play a role in how we diagnose and use medicines to enable everyone to do more feel better and live longer. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products at the cutting edge of Machine Learning and AI.
To help us make this future a reality, we are looking for accomplished Senior Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Engineers
that have a track record of delivering state-of-the-art machine learning models for solving challenging real-world scientific problems. Senior AI/ML Engineers at GSK are experienced scientists and engineers with in-depth knowledge in modern machine learning, a keen interest in making a positive impact in healthcare, and strong experience in engineering software solutions at scale.
To strengthen our team in Europe, we are looking for skilled Senior Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Engineers
that will drive the development of state-of-the-art biomedical AI algorithms. This role will be focused on researching, designing, implementing, and delivering cutting-edge prediction models across a range of challenging biomedical tasks using state-of-the-art high-performance computing facilities and the vast and detailed biomedical data sources available at GSK.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we are motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one. We strongly encourage applications from people with diverse and underrepresented backgrounds and perspectives. You will:
- Take ownership of, design and implement AI/ML-driven solutions along the entire model development life cycle.
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning models, including deep learning models, to optimize model performance on a range of biomedical prediction tasks.
- Deliver robust, tested and performant code in an agile environment.
- Mentor colleagues and act as a role model for robust and scalable machine learning engineering.
- Lead early project definition and scoping together with domain experts across the company.
- Liaise with experts in biology, medicine and experimentation to ensure optimal collection of data to train biomedical machine learning models.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Masters or Doctorate degree in a quantitative or engineering discipline (computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, engineering, among others); OR equivalent additional work experience delivering state-of-the-art AI/ML solutions.
- 3+ years of experience in AI/ML engineering with an established track record of successful delivery of state-of-the-art AI/ML solutions.
- Expert-level knowledge in at least one major deep learning framework (PyTorch, TensorFlow).
- Familiarity with machine learning literature, foundational mathematics and statistics, and state-of-the-art modelling approaches.
- Previous experience in designing, developing and delivering robust commercial AIML software solutions, including demonstrated advanced programming expertise in Python.
- Expert knowledge of software engineering and machine learning best practices, including version control, continuous integration (CI) and continuous development (CD), containerization, High Performance Computing (HPC), and shell scripting.
- Background or interest in biology or medicine is a plus but not required.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of German is not required for this position.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Contributions to relevant open-source projects.
- Relevant first-author scientific publications in AI/ML (NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, AAAI, among others), computational biology or bioinformatics venues.
- Knowledge or interest in disease biology, molecular biology and medicine.
- Experience working with biomedical data (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, electronic health records, clinical images)
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.