Remote - with occasional travel
The job on offer
Capgemini is seeking to recruit a senior non-contentious IT/commercial lawyer to its UK Legal team to support its Public Sector Market Unit. We have a bold and creative approach to providing business solutions and are looking for a bright, talented and commercially experienced and astute lawyer. The successful candidate will work closely with a broad range of internal stakeholders and external clients and will advise on a wide variety of commercial issues and transactions, varying in nature, complexity and value, as well as ad hoc legal issues.
In this role , you will benefit from substantial autonomy and will work on all phases of deals. In addition, the successful candidate will be part of the global legal team and will need to comply with and deploy locally the Group's global contracting principles, business ethics and values as well as company policies.
Applications are welcomed from lawyers with contract law experience, whether in-house or in private practice, particularly specialising in IT law and especially with a background in public sector procurement.
Although Capgemini is open to assessing candidates from diverse professional backgrounds, the responsibilities and skills required for the role are likely to favour candidates eligible to practice law in England & Wales, e.g., candidates holding or eligible to hold a practising certificate as a solicitor of England & Wales. Due to the nature of the role, it is the expectation that the successful candidate should be eligible and prepared to gain UK government security clearance (SC) - to be arranged by the company.
You will enjoy a degree of responsibility appropriate to a senior lawyer providing a full legal service, including:
- Acting as the legal head of the Public Sector Market Unit. This includes being the primary point of contact for this area of our UK business, liasing with the business leads and other key stakeholders to manage pipeline and resource for related matters on behalf of the UK & Ireland General Counsel, therefore Public Sector experience is essential.
- Advising on all phases of deals, ranging from the proposal/bid review stages through to negotiation and post signature issues. This includes providing strategic legal advice at all stages of the deal
- Negotiation of contracts for the provision of IT, outsourcing (including business process outsourcing), consultancy, digital and engineering services
- Supporting the Group's compliance programme, raising regulatory compliance issues
- Being the manager/reviewer of other team members if required
- Supporting the outsourcing of work to team members based in India and Poland. Supporting that work includes providing appropriate support, feedback and, on occasions, training
- Delivering occasional legal training and presentations to the business
Liaising with our external lawyers.
Ancillary roles will include providing legal sign-off on deals (including through the UK & Group legal sign-off processes), attending, development and presentation of legal training courses, policy drafting, assistance with dispute resolution (e.g., by managing external litigators) and working as part of the global legal team on global initiatives, including on occasions international transactions. You may also be called upon to advise on non-client related matters such as those relating to suppliers, partners and other parties, and may be required to support legal compliance initiatives in areas such as competition law, export control, anti-bribery and corruption.
- Commercial IT experience within the Public sector
- Sound understanding of government frameworks
- Excellent grasp of general commercial and contract law, including in the area of technology in spheres such as cloud, digital, data protection and cyber security
- Ability to manage and lead complex special projects, including the legal support of large value and complex bids and transactions
- A strategic outlook and ability to support direction setting for the legal team and the business, bringing your own experience and thinking and leading projects in this area
- Proficiency in understanding and managing risks arising out of your work
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise and thought leadership
- Expert in verbal and written communications for both formal and informal settings, with effective negotiation skills
- Strong leadership, influencing and decision-making skills - proven stakeholder management and capable of forging relationships with top management, senior executives, business managers, team members, clients and third parties
- Confidence to influence the business at a senior level and set expectations
- Demonstrated empathetic style and valuing of diversity
- Strong commercial skills and understanding
- Demonstrated resilience and ability to work under pressure, such as resilience to multi-stakeholder demands and changes during negotiations within tight timelines
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team, foster knowledge sharing and lead and coach small teams, including those located outside the UK
- Lead efforts to suggest improvements to work practices and develop new thinking and approaches profitable for Capgemini's business, including as based on feedback, personal insight and best practice
- Capable of delivering training in own area of expertise
- Awareness of the external business environment applicable to Capgemini, particularly in relation to public sector matters.
Get the future you want
Growing clients' businesses while building a more sustainable, more inclusive future is a tough ask. But when you join Capgemini, you join a thriving company and become part of a diverse collective of free-thinkers, entrepreneurs, and industry experts. A powerful source of energy that drives us all to find new ways technology can help us reimagine what's possible. It's why, together, we seek out opportunities that will transform the world's leading businesses. And it's how you'll gain the experiences and connections you need to shape your future. By learning from each other every day, sharing knowledge and always pushing yourself to do better, you'll build the skills you want. And you'll use them to help our clients leverage technology to grow their business and give innovation that human touch the world needs. So, it might not always be easy, but making the world a better place rarely is. Capgemini. Get The Future You Want.
Capgemini is a global leader in partnering with companies to transform and manage their business by harnessing the power of technology. The Group is guided everyday by its purpose of unleashing human energy through technology for an inclusive and sustainable future. It is a responsible and diverse organization of over 340,000 team members in more than 50 countries. With its strong 55-year heritage and deep industry expertise, Capgemini is trusted by its clients to address the entire breadth of their business needs, from strategy and design to operations, fuelled by the fast evolving and innovative world of cloud, data, AI, connectivity, software, digital engineering and platforms. The Group reported in 2021 global revenues of €18 billion.
Get The Future You Want This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.