Who are we?
At Booking.com, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world. We began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we've been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, we're building a platform that connects all parts of the trip - from accommodation to transport, tickets, tours and more.
From our HQ in Manchester, our Transportation team helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities and they're always ready for change. We'd love to add to that team a Senior Network Engineer in Manchester. What we're looking for & what you'll be doing:
We're looking for a Senior Network Engineer to join our Core Tech & Platform teams here at Booking.com. Your primary focus will be to contribute to the development and management of company network infrastructure to ensure our customers both and external have reliant service and platform for operations.
You will push the boundaries to deliver brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future. We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering and networking principles. As the company is undergoing a period of significant growth with changes to both on premise and cloud architectures, you will be someone who embraces this challenge and the ability to support and develop each. Requirements & Experience:
A mixture of these skills would be great, however some of the requirements are a must:
- Experience in network automation using programming languages like python (2+ years);
- Detailed knowledge of networking in routing & switching, TCP/IP stack and protocols such as BGP, ISIS, IPv6, EVPN;
- Solid exposure to AWS Network resources (Transit Gateways, VPCs, Subnets, Route Tables, NAT Gateways, Internet Gateways, VPNs, Direct Connects, etc);
- Current or previous experience with cloud network resources (ideally AWS);
- Deployed network infrastructure as code, using configuration management tools (e.g. Terraform, Ansible);
- Experience with Internet architectures and peering;
- Experience with basic network security concepts firewalling, DDOS;
- Experience with monitoring network quality, availability and performance;
- Experience configuring Juniper/Cisco/Arista devices (CLI, Ansible);
- Experience with engineering, configuration, and operation of MPLS networks is beneficial
- Experience with DWDM technology and devices is beneficial
Who you are:
- Operate and Maintain our existing cloud and on-premise networks.
- Research, design, and implement new solutions which will help improve our network environment and ways of working.
- Automate and improve existing operations and monitoring through the use of existing tools or custom scripts.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot network related problems within the company.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders including architects to define network strategy and technology choices, both for cloud and on-premise networking.
What do we offer our employees?
- A motivated self starter, you are experienced enough to be given a brief and run projects through to completion.
- A Senior Network Engineer, both in technical and non technical skillset, using knowledge and experience to drive the team forward
- Someone who enjoys collaborating with other people to solve problems.
- Someone who enjoys getting into the details diving, into technical problems and pursuing project risks.
- Someone who loves working with tech because there's always something new to learn.
- Someone who will challenge themselves to grow every day.
- A great team player and mentor, who offers to help others when needed.
- An open-minded individual, you like using the right tool for the right job, you're flexible about how you get the task done.
- Passionate about refining and improving both working practices and the customer experience.
Our core values
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (rising to 28 days after 3 years of service)
- Great discounts on accommodation, car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works!
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Succeed Together
- Do the Right Thing
- Think Customer First
We are committed to giving you everything you need to take your career in the direction you want. With our core values we ensure you contribute to Booking.com's mission in the best way you can. Can we be flexible for you?
We want our colleagues to have a work life balance that works both for them and the business. Our core hours are 10-4 with flexibility around that within a 37.5 hour week. We are also open to considering other flexible working arrangements. Please ask our Talent Specialists who can discuss this with you. Pre-Employment Screening:
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Booking.com. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.