UK - London - Brentford, USA - Massachusetts - CambridgePosted Date:
Apr 13 2022AI/ ML Embedded Engineer-2
At GlaxoSmithKline we have created a world-leading data and computational environment to enable large scale scientific experiments that exploit GSK's unique access to data . Our focus is on bringing data , analytics & science together into solutions for our scientists to develop medicines for patients. A key enabler of this effort is the ability to extract knowledge from unstructured text.
We are seeking to grow our team with brilliant and diverse contributors with natural language processing ( NLP ) expertise. Our NLP team is building systems that read proprietary and public text datasets, extract key information, and make it accessible throughout the R&D organization. This involves both leveraging state-of-the-art text processing models and developing new methods to derive actionable data for scientists. We are looking for NLP experts who are intrigued by challenges in information extraction , including named entity recognition, relation extraction , and entity linking. This is an exciting role that will stretch your knowledge and curiosity, offering the opportunity to learn new skills and work within a global community.
This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold, to solve novel R&D problems and have the potential to directly impact the lives of patients living with disease. We have impressive toolkits and world class data , and we are now looking for talented people to join us.As a Machine Learning Engineer , we'd like you to be able to:
- Working with applied scientists to leverage big data and find cures for diseases
- Identify opportunities to apply the latest advancements in Machine Learning to build, test, and validate models in named entity recognition, relation extraction , and entity linking
- Deploy your algorithms as production services
- Automatically extract knowledge from the scientific literature to be combined with internal and external datasets as a biomedical knowledge graph
- Compare results from various methodologies and recommend best techniques to stake holders
- Connect and collaborate with subject matter experts in biology , chemistry, and medicine
*Office located in the heart of London's AI district Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Applied Math, undergraduate studies in Computer Science and relevant graduate studies in the life sciences with a focus on AI/ML techniques, or undergraduate studies in Computer Science and equivalent work history
- Experience shipping code directly to end users
- Experience using a programming language such as Python , including fundamental software engineering principles: C++, Java
- Experience in distributed system architecture design and implementation
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework such as TensorFlow , Keras , or PyTorch
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in applying NLP to the biomedical domain, to include familiarity with biomedical terminology and ontologies (e.g. UMLS metathesaurus)
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively as part of a team to both teach and learn every day
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change. Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.