BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Laboratories is seeking to recruit a researcher to join our rapidly expanding Data and Information Processing Capability. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You will have recently completed a PhD in a numerate discipline. You will also need to be a proficient programmer, particularly in Python, with extensive experience in the use of libraries and toolboxes to support efficient development.
You will help to deliver a wide range of research topics for customers across the space, defence, security and commercial sectors, including for internal BAE Systems customers. You will also have the opportunity to maintain strong links with academic partners and to grow technical research areas of interest to you.
You will develop skills in Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning supported by mentors working at the cutting edge of this domain. The Data and Information Processing Capability has a diverse range of teams working with: reinforcement learning, natural language processing, knowledge graphs, graph based neural nets, and deep learning. The latter techniques are applied to a wide variety of data types (e.g., text, speech, radar, sonar, imagery) and in a range of problem domains. You will have the opportunity to work with your colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams.
Candidates will have a solid academic background with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Typical Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Prepare and deliver technical reports, technical proposals and supporting material
- Deliver novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and as part of a project team
- Effectively present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You will almost certainly have a recent PhD in a numerate discipline.
- Evidence of publication in appropriate journals and conferences is essential.
- Experience in working with exotic data types (X-ray, hyperspectral, radar, sonar) is particularly of interest.
- Right to work in the UK is essential.
- Appetite for working in a secure environment is desirable but not essential.
- Experience in software development for proof of concept in Python is essential
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Experience with machine and deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn, etc. would be beneficia
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.