The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Applied Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.We are looking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group based in Great Baddow, Essex.Role Summary:
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Laboratories is seeking to recruit a researcher to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You should have existing skills in Artificial Intelligence or neural net based machine learning. You will also need to be a proficient programmer, particularly in Python, with extensive experience in the use of libraries and toolboxes to support efficient development. You will help to deliver a wide range of research topics for customers across the space, defence, security and commercial sectors, including for internal BAE Systems customers. You will also have the opportunity to maintain strong links with academic partners and to grow technical research areas of interest to you.
The Data Research group has a diverse range of teams working in: reinforcement learning, NLP, knowledge graphs and graph based neural nets, AI for RF and EW, sonar and acoustics and you will have the opportunity to work with these colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams.
Candidates will mix technical challenges with customer-facing tasks. In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are particularly interested in candidates with experience in the application of reinforcement learning to real world problems.Typical Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Prepare and deliver technical reports, technical proposals and supporting material
- Deliver novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and as part of a project team
- Effectively present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- Several years of expertise in the application of reinforcement learning. You will probably have a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Evidence of publication in appropriate journals and conferences is essential.
- Experience in working with cyber data from more exotic imaging sensors would be beneficial.
- Appetite for working in a secure environment is desirable but not essential.
- Experience in software development for proof of concept in Python is essential
- Experience with machine and deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn, etc. is essential
- Experience with RL tools and methods is essential: OpenAI Gym, DQN, Rainbow, REINFORCE, A2C, DDPG, TD3, MADDPG.
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.