As the communications regulator, Ofcom has been protecting audiences from potentially harmful material on TV, radio and on-demand services for many years. We have recently taken on the regulation of UK-established video-sharing platforms and the Online Safety Bill will grant Ofcom new responsibilities that will help to keep people safe when they are online.
Ofcom's responsibilities include regulating advertising and other commercial communications to ensure both that consumers are protected from harm and that there continues to be a wide variety of interesting and engaging content for audiences to enjoy. The Advertising Team helps Ofcom meet these responsibilities, co-ordinating and leading Ofcom's engagement with both internal and external stakeholders, to ensure the effectiveness of the current regulatory framework and to address the challenges of future advertising regulation.Purpose of the Role
The role will be focused on the development, implementation and enforcement of the regulation of advertising and other commercial content (e.g. sponsorship, paid for promotions). You will be working as part of a team responsible for regulation that spans a variety of services and regulatory approaches. A key aspect of the role is to understand the challenges of regulating a complex advertising landscape and the impact of regulatory interventions.What you are expected to deliver in this role
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Support the development and delivery of advertising policies within Ofcom's regulatory remit.
- Develop creative and innovative solutions to achieve good outcomes for consumers, helping to identify and consider the practicality, risks and long-term implications of different policy options.
- Communicate complex ideas into clear and focused documents for internal use or external publication.
- Help manage and keep under review the effectiveness of existing regulatory interventions.
- Collaborate effectively with a wide range of colleagues across Ofcom.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with a broad range of industry and other stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of commercial and policy developments affecting the advertising landscape.
- Demonstrate a curious mind, an ability to research issues and strong analytical skills.
- Able to take responsibility for the timely delivery of work, demonstrating effective planning.
- Ability to draw complex ideas into concise, high quality and well written documents.
- Able to work independently and flexibly.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to participate actively and respectfully in discussions, contributing ideas and solutions.
- Understanding of the cross-media advertising landscape, including strategic and commercial pressures, market behaviour and the effect of regulatory intervention.
- Experience of working within an advertising/marketing (supply, demand or regulatory) role desirable (but not essential).