The In-House Services and Estates (IHSE) team are custodians of the parliamentary estate. The Team has been recently formed from the previous In-House Services and Strategic Estates Teams so that there is one integrated team providing a range of joined-up services to all customers which creates a number of benefits for the business, our colleagues and Members.
As a bicameral service the IHSE Finance Service plays a leading role in delivering both the House of Commons' and House of Lords strategies and manages 70% of the parliamentary budget through; business and financial planning, monitoring performance, supporting the delivery of projects and programmes across Parliament, and promoting innovation and improvement.
The work of the IHSE Finance team is to:
- Provide financial planning and budgeting, to ensure there are sufficient resources to deliver IHSE business objectives,
- Work with management as appropriate to ensure financial management systems and processes are robust and effective,
- Provide financial information on all business activities to monitor performance and inform future strategic decisions, and
- Support the business in demonstrating value for money in delivery of the strategic objectives.
The Management Accountant will work as part of the IHSE Finance team to provide financial expertise and support to IHSE Directors and budget holders.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Support the consolidation of the IHSE medium term financial and investment plans, with responsibility for specific teams within In-House Services and Estates.
- Support the consolidation and profiling of the IHSE annual financial Estimates.
- Review monthly expenditure reports to identify any errors in coding and carry out general ledger journal corrections in line with the finance reporting timetable.
- Prepare monthly directorate accruals for Corporate Services in line with the finance reporting timetable as well as producing monthly forecasts both in-year and future years, engaging with key stakeholders and operational managers to ensure forecasts are robust and providing challenge where necessary.
As part of this role the successful candidate will undertake a level 7 Accountancy / Taxation Professional Apprenticeship. The successful candidates will be able to choose either the ACCA or CIMA pathway. We will enrol you onto the apprenticeship shortly after you join, and it will typically take 36 months to complete. You will complete training for 20% of your time, including from an apprenticeship training provider. More information on the Apprenticeship can be found here:
Accountancy or taxation professional / Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical EducationEligibility
The apprenticeship is open to external and internal candidates.
The following qualifications are required for this role:
Essential 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths and English: grade C / 4 or above 2 A levels at C and above in any subjects OR
an Association of Accounting Technician (AAT) at level 4.Candidate requirements
Skills and experience
- Recent experience of operating in a financial environment, with an understanding of the core concepts of basic accounting and ability to explain clearly why they are needed.
- Ability to proficiently use financial systems, has advanced Excel skills as well as good Microsoft Office skills and can produce concise and accurate briefing notes, communications and reports.
- Effective collaboration and team working skills, with the ability to establish close working relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
- Methodical and disciplined with attention to detail, showing excellent organisational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and ensure deadlines are met.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- 30 days' annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service Pension scheme.
- Access to training and development.
- Flexible working.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan.
If you are interested in the role, please do submit a CV and statement providing evidence against criteria 1 to 3.
More information on the job can be found on the job description.