This position might be suitable for those applicants who have been working in roles such as Engineering Safety Manager, System Safety Manager, System Safety Principal.About Arup:
Arup is an independent firm of designers, engineers, planners and consultants, combining an exceptional set of skills, to resolve technological and societal problems associated with safety and reliability. Our innovative and diverse culture, allows us to develop bespoke solutions to our client's needs, underpinned by our ingrained ethics and values, which allow us to approach these challenges in a unique way. The Opportunity:
Our risk, security and resilience practice is truly at the forefront of the field, actively seeking out and answering those safety related questions, that inhibit technological and operational improvements in transport, energy and manufacturing. If you are inspired by the freedom to problem solve, apply creative solutions, develop your own safety philosophy and grow technically, Arup will afford you the opportunity to do so.
You will join Arup as a Senior Safety Consultant (Rail) working in our Technical Risk and Reliability team, based in Manchester. The role will be predominantly focused on the rail industry, including infrastructure, technology and rolling stock. Though you must be keen and able to adapt, and transfer your skills to new industries, when the need arises.
Your role will ensure that the myriad of infrastructure, rolling stock and technological changes to the rail system, realise an appropriate level of safety, on projects nationally and abroad. You will be leading technically, and supporting the wider team in project delivery, finding innovative and efficient ways of realising safety, balancing the resolution of complex technical problems with stakeholder diplomacy and project management. This includes applying your knowledge and experience to new and novel applications, including the transition to digital integration, automation and decarbonised traction power.
The flexibility of the role will provide you with variety, and allow a specialisation in technical areas, combined with influence at a regulatory level, through the advisory services we provide. This has included establishing the legal framework for the entry into service of new decarbonised traction power rolling stock, including hydrogen and battery powered solutions, as well as advising at a Ministerial level on the proportionate regulatory frameworks for the developing railways of low and middle income countries.
You will be working collaboratively with other technical domain experts, multi-disciplinary design teams, cost consultants and project managers to deliver solutions to the unique challenges our clients face. You will have exemplary technical knowledge and experience in system safety, railway system engineering, risk management, safety cases / safety justifications, and safety management systems to demonstrate and lead risk reduction in accordance with industry standard methodology and to accepted industry levels.
You will also have strong skills in analytical thinking, creative problem solving, and excellent written, verbal and sketch communication. You will be collaborative in your approach, flexible and agile in your way of working with others, but also able to work independently.
You will be part of a team passionate in managing safety, risk and reliability from engineering system and human performance failures and to embed resilience in systems and infrastructure to shape a safer, more reliable and sustainable future.In this role you will be expected to:
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge
- Apply your knowledge and experience, to frame the problem for the client, develop the methodology for analysis and reach conclusions that add value;
- Lead and undertake system safety activities such as: hazard identification, analysis and evaluation, risk analysis and modelling, risk management, hazard and engineering safety management, and safety justifications in accordance with relevant EU and UK railway legislation and standards e.g. ROGS, CSMs, EN 50126/8/9.
- Provide advisory services to a variety of technical, regulatory, societal and investment problems, based on our clients requirements.
- Lead the system safety discipline on multi-disciplinary design projects
- Devise and deliver bespoke strategies for hazard identification and operational readiness with clients, stakeholders and multi-discipline engineers.
- Analyse safety, operational & maintenance data sets to identify solutions to improve system safety and performance.
- Design and conduct bespoken technical safety and risk analyses and carry out peer review and technical due diligence studies.
- Support business development and development of technical excellence in the team and through the skills network
- Project manage, line manage and support junior consultants in the team and provide mentorship where appropriate.
Rewards and Benefits
- Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Instrument & Control or Reliability will also be strongly considered), Mathematics or a complimentary field (Science, Psychology) or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Experience and excellent knowledge in railway systems and safety management that includes:
- System safety / engineering safety management
- Hazard Identification (HAZID), Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP)
- Hazard record management
- Risk assessment (qualitative and quantitative) and risk management
- As low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) / So far as is reasonably practicable (SFAIRP) principles
- Failure Mode, Effect & Criticality Analysis (FMECA) and Fault Tree Analysis
- Functional Safety including Safety Integrity Level assessments
- Principles of human factors, human reliability and human performance
- Safety case development
- Safety management activities to achieve 'Authorisation for Placing into Service' for rail infrastructure or rolling stock
- Experience and knowledge in design, operation and maintenance of railway system and infrastructures, with a track record in delivering system safety on multi-disciplinary design projects.
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm's financial performance.Different people, shared values.
At Arup, we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world.
At Arup, we welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and any other protected characteristic. Our internal employee networks - BAME, Culture, Disability, LGBTQ+ and Women - provide a space for you to express your views and to make a positive difference - discover more about life at Arup here.
At Arup, we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best throughout your application.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply, and we will discuss how this could work in your role.What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.