UK - London - Brentford Posted Date:
Mar 4 2022Director, Data Engineering The role will preferably be based at GSK House but can also be based at other European strategic locations.
The distinct behaviour demonstrated by the Director, Data Engineering is defined by Technical Thought Leadership, Innovation, Strategy and People Management & Development. This role is accountable for contributing within and across product teams in the technical solution design, implementation & continuous improvement of solutions for large-scale complex products, embedding agile and DevOps principles.
You will be working on fully up to date technologies in the Data & Analytics environment and in a team, which is fully committed to remain at the leading edge of this skillset. Therefore, the impetus to keep improving skills and acquiring skillsets in new technologies will be very strong
This is very hands-on role which includes developing & delivering code through from origin to production, plus working in partnership with 3rd party development service providers to help ensure that code comes in on time, to quality and in line with the overall ecosystem being established. The Lead Data engineer will directly contribute to the extensive and varied build and deployment activities involved in establishing the new platform then continue to work on the already significant and growing pipeline of future build-outs on the platform.
In this role you will:
- Leadership: Provide leadership, technical direction and GSK expertise to the Data Engineer team composed of GSK FTEs, strategic partners.
- Teamwork: Partner with Data Analysts and Data Architects to inform product strategy and roadmaps. Maintain awareness of emerging technology in the market and technical industry trends related to the data and analytics space.
- Development: Hands on, sleeves up development and delivery expected as a matter of course.
- Delivery: Ensure project goals are achieved on time in alignment with the stakeholders' expectation. Ability to work on complex projects and in a distributed environment. Escalate to other Data & Analytics leadership team when needing support. Work in close collaboration with other team members, to ensure Development/Delivery aspects are well represented in the project's requirements and deliverables.
- Methodology: . Incorporate agile ways of working into the delivery process thru use of DABL (Discovery, Alpha, Beta, Launch) framework to show value periodically. Individuals will work as part of product-centric delivery team(s) that will focus on delivering value independently while fully embracing integrated DevOps approaches.
- Ownership: Take ownership for the delivery/development projects and help steer until completion.
- Governance: Follow governance that allows projects and stakeholders to manage overall project performance and manage programme risks within the global nature of some of the programmes.
- Forward looking: Remain flexible towards technology approaches to ensure that the best advantage is being taken of new technologies. Keep abreast of industry developments in analytics and be able to interpret how these would impact services and present new opportunities.
- Quality, Risk & Compliance: Ensure all risk and issues associated with owned projects are recorded and managed in the appropriate Risk & Issue logs in a timely manner. Ensure all Risks and Issues have clear action/mitigation/contingency plans defined, with named action owners and timelines for completion.
- Technical Architecture: Be conversant with technical architecture to contribute to design discussions in partnership with the Delivery/Development Director and dedicated Analytics & Data Architect.
This position requires technical knowledge, but also significant interpersonal and communication ability. We are looking for someone who can work effectively across boundaries - both cultural and functional. This international role requires partnership with other business areas, companies and countries, meaning a flexible communication style and astute cultural awareness are highly valued. You'll work in a matrix , inspiring change rather than commanding action, so leadership capability is a must. As a senior contributor to the DevOps organisation, we need an agile , confident decision maker - someone able to solve sophisticated problems with effective solutions. Often you will be accountable for the delivery of these solutions, so project management capability is also important in this role.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert. Why you? Required qualifications and skills:
- Considerable experience as a Developer in the Data & Analytics arena with demonstrated expertise in emerging technologies and data technology platforms and management.
- MS/BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Design or equivalent experience.
- Ideal candidate would have built an impressive hands-on career to date in an advanced, recognized and innovative environment around Data & Analytics.
- Fully conversant with agile and DevOps development methodology and concepts. Must have worked in CI/CD ways of working using tools like Azure DevOps.
- Fully conversant with big-data processing approaches and "schema-on-read" methodologies is a must and knowledge of Azure Data Factory/DataBricks/Azure Data Lake/Azure DW/Analysis Services is highly preferred. Understanding AWS and GCP cloud platforms is a plus.
- Experience of the Azure analytics components, Power BI, Power Apps & Microsoft Visual Studio is desirable.
- Good to have an excellent development skills & extensive hand-on development & coding experience in a variety of languages, e.g. C#, Python, SQL, DAX, etc.
- Have a highly innovative mind-set and experience with analytics in a healthcare or CPG company.
- Ability to work in close partnership with other IT functions such as IT security, compliance, infrastructure, etc. as well as partner closely with business stakeholders in the commercial and digital organizations.
- Experience in executing Data projects in an Agile manner, articulation of Value depending on the project life cycle stage, Creating MVPs, developing plans for scale up are all very important experience to be successful in this role.
- Great communication skills and ability to communicate inherently complicated technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggest change we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact
- with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.