Job Description: Job Title:
Assistant Corporate Secretary II Corporate Title:
Vice President Location:
London Role Description:
An opportunity has arisen for an assistant company secretary to join Bank of America Merrill Lynch based in our London office which is near St Paul's. This role will require the candidate to meet the diverse needs and requirements of a dynamic and rapidly changing organization including corporate restructures. The individual will be responsible for the life-cycle management of a portfolio of legal entities within the EMEA region.
The role includes providing corporate governance and company secretarial services for regulated investment firms based in London and Paris (with some support for other legal entities in EMEA), and promoting best practice corporate governance in line with Bank of America policies and guidelines, regulation, company law and market practices. What will your key responsibilities involve?
- Act as corporate secretary for regulated UK and French investment firms (and a number of other regulated and unregulated EMEA legal entities) and for a number of EMEA legal entities
- Ensure entities conduct activities in accordance with applicable company law, local regulatory requirements in respect of corporate governance and also Bank of America governance and subsidiary management policies and procedures relevant for the Company Secretarial team
- Plan and organise general meetings, board meetings and committee meetings including agreeing agendas, drafting resolutions, organising clear and appropriate papers, minute taking, answering director/officer and business line enquiries and ensuring all board decisions are executed
- Organise and contribute to new director and participate in new director identification process for both internal and external director appointees including guiding proposed appointees through regulatory interviews. Arrange ongoing training on director responsibilities
- Work with business lines to establish new legal entities or close inactive legal entities in line with legislative requirements and internal Bank of America procedure
- Respond to/request information from risk management, finance, auditors, senior management, group company secretaries and regulators
- Oversee the following:
- Maintenance of the statutory registers and internal record keeping system
- Local and overseas filings
- Operation of signing authorities and delegated authorities
- Execution of legal documents including POA's, Certificates of Incumbency, Deeds etc. including notarisation / apostille / legalisation
- External company secretarial provider companies
- Work with business lines to establish new legal entities or close inactive legal entities in line with legislative requirements and internal Bank procedure
- Participate in regional legal entity projects, including corporate restructures
- Respond to/request information from finance, auditors, senior management, group company secretaries and regulators
There is currently a team of 7 corporate secretaries based in London and 3 corporate secretaries based in Paris who support all entities in EMEA and LatAm. Core Skills:
What skills and experience will you ideally possess?
Bank of America:
- Professional qualification (preferably Chartered Governance Institute Associate or Fellow or qualified corporate lawyer)
- Excellent written, presentation and communication skills; good attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail with dedication to extraordinary service
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to multi-task and complete assignments within time constraints and deadlines
- Ability to make connections across the organisation to achieve outcomes and results together
- Ability to interact with senior management of the corporation
- Financial sector experience a plus
- Good analytical approach with the ability to solve problems
- Professionalism, dependability, integrity and trustworthiness combined with a cooperative attitude. Able to thrive in a dynamic team environment
Every day, across the globe, our employees bring a commitment to our purpose and to driving responsible growth by living our values: deliver together, act responsibly, realize the power of our people and trust the team. A key aspect of driving responsible growth is doing so in a sustainable manner, a critical pillar of which is being a great place to work for our teammates.
In line with these values, in EMEA we have 9 Employee Networks, a wide range of Sports & Social clubs, and other development and networking opportunities so that you can enjoy a range of experiences and connect with colleagues across the bank. We also offer exclusive discounts to some of the most iconic cultural experiences for you to enjoy in your spare time outside of work. Learn more about our benefits here.
Good conduct and sound judgment is crucial to our long term success. It's important that all employees in the organisation understand the expected standards of conduct and how we manage conduct risk. Individual accountability and an ownership mind-set are the cornerstones of our Code of Conduct and are at the heart of managing risk well.
We are an equal opportunities employer, and ensure that no applicant is subject to less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, gender identity, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, responsibilities for dependants, physical or mental disability. The Bank selects candidates for interview based on their skills, qualifications and experience.
We strive to ensure that our recruitment processes are accessible for all candidates and encourage any candidates to tell us about any adjustment requirements. As part of our standard hiring process to manage risk, please note background screening checks will be conducted on all hires before commencing employment. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.