Payments officer for Children services payments
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION
To support Business Support in the efficient and effective provision of a comprehensive finance function, including all aspects of ledger maintenance, control and reporting, in accordance with statutory requirements and the Council's policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To be responsible for raising payments in respect of support and accommodation for Islington's Children's looked after population. To ensure payments are accurate and timely and that any resulting issues are dealt with in an appropriate and acceptable manner.
2. To be responsible for ensuring income due to Islington from other local authorities, in respect of cross-consortium placements. is collected.
3. To be responsible for assisting with the development, maintenance and review of effective systems for budget monitoring, control, reconciliation and reporting in conjunction with operational managers, to continuously improve departmental systems in line with financial best practice.
4. To be responsible for assisting with reviewing and improving the development of local commitment monitoring financial and activity systems used by operational managers to ensure consistency, effective reconciliation and financial best practice.
5. To be responsible for assisting with effective joint working with external organisations and customers, to ensure appropriate procedures and processes for setting, monitoring and reviewing the financial arrangements.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Substantial demonstrable experience in a financial management environment.
Proven experience within the Local government or other public sector.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITY
Good knowledge and understanding of accountancy concepts and principles.
Relevant experience of budget monitoring and closing of accounts.
Ability to provide technical advice to non-finance managers.
Ability to deal effectively with complex queries and to provide appropriate advice as required.
Ability to communicate complex, diverse information effectively with all levels of staff and external agencies in a clear and concise manner.
Ability to prioritise conflicting demands and to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
Ability to make effective decisions in a timely manner.
Ability to work flexibly.
Experience of using financial software packages and other related database software