Our local authority client has a 4-month contract vacancy (with the possibility of extension) for the role of an ACCOUNTANT (ACCOUNTANCY TEAM LEADER) details as followsJob Purpose
- The role of the Accountant is to manage a team responsible for treasury management, payroll (client side), insurance and car leasing functions and completion of government returns.
- Be the lead officer for closing the accounts, VAT and the production of the collection fund.
- The Accountant should be responsible for bank reconciliations and managing the banking and payroll contracts.
- Ensure all Government returns are completed accurately and on time.
- Manage the e-payments and cash management systems including bank reconciliations.
- Manage the year-end accounts process, ensuring the Council is compliant with IFRS, working with senior colleagues across the Council to develop a fully integrated process, and managing the day-to-day relationship with the Council's external auditor. Responsible for the production of the Collection fund accounts.
- Lead on the interpretation and proper implementation of legislation, regulations and accounting guidance as they affect the Council's financial management, taxation and accountancy arrangements. This will include the preparation and maintenance of all relevant guidance and procedure notes, making recommendations for improvements to senior managers as required
- Manage the Treasury Management function, assisting in the production of forward strategy and managing the day-to-day relationship with external Treasury Management Advisors;
- Produce the Treasury Management monitoring reports for Audit Committee and Council.
- Manage the Insurance and Car Leasing Officer. This will include managing the insurance broker contract, leading on risk matters for the Finance Section, leading on the Council's car leasing policy and support the officer with arranging insurance policies for the Council.
- Responsible for the completion of Government and VAT returns;
- Line manage a team of finance officers (4 FTE), providing proactive and innovative advice on a diverse range of services including insurance, VAT and payroll (client side).
- Educated to degree or evidence of degree level ability of education through work experience and relevant experience of working in a financial services environment at a higher level.
- Membership of appropriate professional body (CCAB or equivalent).
- Experience of supporting the closure of accounts process for a large multi-disciplinary organisation to enable the production of compliant Statutory Statement of Accounts by due deadlines without qualification.
- Proven track record of producing good quality working papers to the satisfaction of external auditors.
- Proactive approach to team management and development, ensuring that skills are developed throughout the team in order to provide cover for one another should the need arise.
- Up to date and working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, standards and core disciplines of work area including IFRS and the Code of Practice on Local Government Accounts.
- An understanding of treasury management.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and work specific software packages including advanced excel.
- Knowledge and understanding of new approaches to commercialism in local government and risk management.
If you have the necessary experience and qualifications to fulfill this role, please submit your CV ASAP.