Note: To save this job, click the 'Save job' button. This will add the job to your list of saved jobs which can be accessed from the menu at the top of this page. If the 'Save job' button is not visible, it is likely you have already saved this job. To return back to job search, close this window. Description Some careers have more impact than others.If you're looking for a career where you can make a real impression, join HSBC and discover how valued you'll be.
At HSBC, the term sustainability means achieving sustained profits for our shareholders, developing long-lasting customer relationships, valuing our highly committed employees and managing the social and environmental impact of our business. Global Sustainability sets global strategy on sustainability and focuses on managing the challenges of climate change, managing the social and environmental risks of projects that we finance and identifying business opportunities that have an environmental or social dimension. Global Sustainability oversees HSBC's global philanthropic programmes - which focus on education and the environment.
We are currently seeking an ambitious individual to join our team as a Director Sustainable Finance, working together with colleagues to define, manage and achieve divisional business targets.
The role is to lead the development and implementation of initiatives to embed HSBC's net zero strategy and financed emissions targets into changes across the Group - globally.
HSBC announced its ambition to become a net zero bank in October 2020, including an aim to align its financed emissions to net zero by 2050, and to provide between $750 billion and $1 trillion in sustainable finance and investments over the next 10 years. In April 2021, HSBC became a founding member of the Net Zero Banking Alliance which seeks to reinforce, accelerate, and support the implementation of decarbonisation strategies for the banking sector.
HSBC published initial disclosures and targets on financed emissions in February 2022, including science-based targets for its oil and gas, and power and utilities financing portfolios. In 2022 we will carry out analysis for 5 further sectors representing over 80% of HSBC's portfolio. Financed emissions link the financing we provide to our customers and their activities in the real economy, and helps provide an indication of the greenhouse gas emissions associated with those activities. They form part of HSBC's scope 3 emissions, which include emissions associated with the use of a company's products and services.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and lead a programme of initiatives to operationalise HSBC's net zero strategy and financed emissions targets into changes in business decision making processes globally - across business groups and functions.
- Lead engagement with senior executives across global businesses and functions related to executing the Group's net zero strategy; provide regular updates to executive committees
- Represent HSBC in industry forums (e.g. GFANZ, NZBA, SMI, PCAF, CDP, SBTi) and in engagement with governments, regulators and investors, and actively engage in initiatives to promote alignment of the financial system to the goals and timelines set out in the Paris Agreement
- Develop strategy on key evolving areas critical to HSBC's leadership on financing the net zero transition and wider sustainability outcomes, including sector level approaches, collaborating across HSBC business groups and functions.
- Establish appropriate governance and processes to drive outcomes, including internal communication, reporting and clarity of accountability among stakeholders; facilitate collaboration and leverage capabilities and inputs required from across the Group
- Design implementation plans and manage programme deliverables, including coordination of activities across global functions in support of the Group's ambition to align its financing portfolios to net zero outcomes by 2050
- Define business requirements to input into development of supporting data and analytics capabilities, working closely with relevant delivery teams to establish decision useful metrics and insights
- Support communication of HSBC's net zero strategy and implementation internally and through annual disclosures (e.g. Annual Report & Accounts), engagement with investors, regulators and other external stakeholders
To be successful in the role, you should meet the following requirements:
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
- Strong commercial awareness; working experience of strategy formulation and implementation in a global context and preferably within the financial services industry
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to communicate effectively and with confidence at a senior executive level as well as with external parties and in industry forums
- Strong analytical skills, able to critically consider information from a number of sources, identify material issues and articulate and present a well-reasoned business case and actions within challenging timeframes
- Proven ability to deliver concise, accurate, effective and timely communication; commitment and contribution to overall team performance
- Strong understanding of climate and sustainability themes, including key drivers, market developments and implications for financial services
- Advanced programme management skills, demonstrated ability to define clear objectives, implementation plans and governance, and to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously working in collaboration with diverse stakeholders to deliver on specific targets with pragmatism
- A practical 'hands-on' approach suited to working in a small team; proactive ownership of initiatives working independently to develop high quality work products for executive level audiences
- Knowledge of HSBC's businesses and business model, products and key risk drivers; a demonstrated ability to effectively balance risk management, regulatory expectations and commercial pragmatism
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the work place you will have access to various employee resource groups which aim to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balance and support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, which means to avoid creating circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts of interest may exist within the hiring process.
Job Field: FinanceRole Workstyle: Hybrid WorkingPrimary Location: Europe-United Kingdom-Greater London-LondonJob Type: Permanent - Full TimeJob Posting: 03-May-2022, 20:10:04Closing date: 18-May-2022, 04:29:00