Founded in 1977, GMO is a private partnership committed to delivering superior investment performance and advice to our clients. We offer strategies where we believe we are positioned to add the greatest value for our investors. These include multi-asset class portfolios as well as dedicated equity, fixed income, and absolute return offerings, many of which employ the firm's proprietary 7-year asset class forecasting framework. Our client base is comprised primarily of institutions, including corporate and public defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, endowments, foundations, and financial intermediaries. GMO, whose sole business is investment management, employs approximately 470 people worldwide and is headquartered in Boston with offices in San Francisco, London, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Singapore. We manage roughly $70 billion in client assets using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches that blend traditional fundamental insights with innovative quantitative methods to identify undervalued asset classes and securities. Our valuation-based approach embeds several key factors, including: a long-term investment horizon, discipline, conviction, and a commitment to research. Our research emphasizes not only identifying and exploiting pricing dislocations but also understanding the long-term drivers of return in the markets in which we invest. We are known for our candor in sharing our views with clients and for our willingness to take bold, differentiated positions when opportunities warrant. Business Development Director Profile
We are seeking to fill a Business Development Director position to be a leading part of a nine strong EMEA team, of which five are specifically responsible for developing and managing GMO's client/prospect relationships in the UK and Ireland. This individual will primarily focus their efforts on business development with financial intermediaries in the UK and Ireland, this includes, but is not limited to, wealth managers, sub-advisors, multi-manager structures/asset managers, and private banks. Importantly, this role (as with other Sales roles at GMO), will also encompass the ongoing management of some existing relationships in this business channel.Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a strategic business development plan consistent with the goals, capabilities and culture of the firm
- Proactively identify, create and progress new business opportunities
- Cultivate relationships with key decision makers at financial intermediaries
- Pursue selected new business leads in collaboration with other team members as well as contributing to a co-ordinated global/regional effort to achieve success with multi-national organisations
- Maintain a strong industry network through conference attendance and extending existing client relationships, as well as a solid understanding of the competitive landscape and how it is evolving
- Co-ordinate and participate in client investment reviews and oversee client communications and reporting in the intermediary channel.
- The successful candidate will have a proven sales track record in the intermediary channel with a proactive 'client-first' mentality, a strong sense of ownership and a close alignment to GMO's culture and philosophy.
- Ideally approx. 10+ years of relevant client and investment experience with the financial intermediaries, ideally across fixed income markets, in addition to equities and alternatives.
- Importantly, given the nature of GMO's investment-driven culture and the high expectations of a sophisticated and demanding client base, the candidate must possess strong investment acumen, intellectual curiosity and the ability to quickly grasp and understand GMO's unique investment culture. High energy, strong personal drive and an active desire to learn are hallmarks of a successful candidate.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are central to this role; the candidate must have the ability to convey and adapt complex messages powerfully and in a clear manner so clients of all types and levels of sophistication will understand.
- The candidate must be able to forge strong internal working relationships, collaborating closely with other members of the global relationship, investment, and support teams, across a range of functions. These will include, but not be limited to: investment, legal, compliance, shareholder services, operations, performance analytics, RFP, graphics, finance and IT.
- An eye for detail, strong organisational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks are central to success in this role.
- The ability to be consultative and client-focused as well as results-driven is necessary.
- Have a good working knowledge of investment platforms and understand the best structures to have in place to achieve success in raising assets with financial intermediaries.
- An undergraduate degree is required. An advanced degree and/or other relevant designation (FIA, CFA, CAIA, CFA ESG assessment) is a plus.
During the course of an application for employment with GMO UK Limited, we will collect (from you and/or third parties) and use certain personal information about you. For information on what we may do with this personal information as well as your rights in respect of your personal information, please refer to the GMO UK Limited GDPR Privacy Notice for Recruitment and Selection, which is available from GMO upon request. London /Global Client Relations /Full-time