Deputy Finance Director (5m FTC), London - Higher Education, up to £90,000
A leading London based university is looking for a senior corporate candidate to come and lead a large finance team through a period of transformation. Responsible for a team of 20, the Deputy FD will need to ensure each member of staff is comfortable in their newly created position and ensure efficiency throughout the team. Suitable candidates will be commercially minded and will work closely with the CFO to put together business plans and partner with other department heads to ensure the university's development. We are only considering candidates on a short notice period or who are IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE.Key Responsibilities:
Key Skills & Qualifications:
- Accountable for the enhancement, implementation and monitoring of the budget, 5-year financial planning, quarterly forecast and monthly management account processes. Ensuring integration with student number planning and transparent, value for money principles underpinning resource allocation decisions.
- Proactively scan the external environment for emerging and current sector and macroeconomic developments to understand key risks and opportunities.
- Adopting appropriate mitigation and scenario planning techniques to scale and manage revenue and cost shocks.
- Synthesis of financial performance into clear, professional, and impactful management packs, adapted to respond to end-user needs from academic leaders to Governing Body members
- Oversee and embed a culture of curiosity and proactive analysis to understand performance and identify efficiency improvements. Root cause analysis, establishing trends and causal relationships, testing multiple scenarios to get to a solution
- Comfortable interpreting and directing analysis involving large quantities of data to understand performance
- Responsible for the development and deployment of the Finance strategic and operational plan
- Influence and partner VC Executive and Senior management on items impacting financial sustainability
- Motivate, develop, and empower individual members of the team to realise their potential at both a personal level and as a key contributor to the team's performance.
- Continuously identifying new and innovative finance management and leadership approaches which enhance stakeholder experience whilst meeting University needs
- Qualified Accountant with significant PQE
- Experience in HE/charity would be desired but not essential
- Significant experience leading large teams/finance functions is necessary in this role
- Corporate/big company experience is desirable
- Commercial and analytical mindset
- Strong leader and mentor, committed to the development of their team and the organisation as a whole
- Able to prioritise, organise and deliver a complex and changing workload under pressure to tight deadlines, without constant supervision