Who we are
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. Building on 100 years of experience, today AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions, and other financial services to customers in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security.Get to know the business
Life and Retirement is a unique franchise that brings together a broad portfolio of life insurance, retirement and institutional products offered through an extensive, multichannel distribution network. It holds longstanding, leading market positions in many of the markets it serves in the U.S.About the roleWhat you need to know:
We have big plans at AIG Life and we believe our management skills and ambition will be key to delivering them.
In order to keep providing excellent customer service to clients and distributors we need talented team managers on board.
We're looking for a new technical underwriting team manager to join our Underwriting department within Customer Services. We are looking for someone with substantial experience of underwriting and leadership talent to lead and coach our underwriters of all authority levels.
You will become part of a team of Customer Services Team Managers who work closely together to make sure the needs of the business, customers, distributors and staff are all met.
The role will be flexible and you will be working remotely, managing a team of homeworkers.What we expect from you:
What you can expect from us:
- You will have a proven working and higher level knowledge of Income Protection, Life, Critical Illness and disability products
- You will have general knowledge of insurance industry codes and current practices
- You will have at least five years underwriting experience and have an underwriting authority of at least 1,000,000 Life cover, 500,000 Critical Illness and 40,000pa Income Protection
- You will deputize for the Underwriting Operations Manager in their absence or delegation of tasks
- In conjunction with the Underwriting Operations Manager, you will drive the technical direction of the department.
- You will oversee operation of the Premier Team and must be able to demonstrate resourcing and forecasting capabilities as well as the daily management of work and liaison with other teams when planning ahead
- You will liaise with Pricing, Sales and our reinsurance partners when required
- You will supervise, develop, coach and motivate your team to ensure that they are aware of and are capable of delivering their responsibilities. You will undertake monthly 1:1s as a minimum for all your team members
- You will manage performance, sickness and any disciplinary issues, and be able to have difficult conversations when required
- You will work closely with underwriting team managers regarding business challenges and ensure smooth operations within SLA
- You will be the complaints point of contact and provide technical assistance in the resolution of these as well as identifying trends and training requirements
- You will utilize your underwriting authority and experience to devise and deliver workshops and technical training
- You will work closely with our underwriting strategy and audit teams, claims and operations to implement appropriate solutions and philosophy.
- You will be able to demonstrate good lateral thinking and proactive problem-solving skills, have sound decision making skills and the ability to recognize risk events, manage and escalate these where appropriate.
- You will communicate directly with your team to make sure they are kept informed of what is expected of them particularly when managing change. Your direct reports are homeworkers so you will be managing them remotely and will be required to travel to see them at times
- We expect you to be forward-thinking, looking for ways to continually improve the way we work, and be able to make decisive changes to ensure efficiency in your team
- You will display role model behaviours, leadership and organisational skills, and have confidence in making decisions
- You will participate in recruitment activities (including making decisions on individuals)
- You will need to be flexible with your working hours at times
What we're looking for:Qualification
- Excellent basic salary, with annual performance related bonus.
- 9% non-contributory company pension matched by up to a further 4% if you contribute too.
- 10 x salary Death in Service benefit and income protection.
- Private medical & health assessments.
- 25 days holiday.
- Friendly, collaborative, and positive atmosphere.
- Smart casual dress code.
Essential: Minimum GCSE's or equivalent
Desirable: Degree or equivalent CII qualification
Method of Assessment: Application form, certification checkExperience
Essential: Leadership qualities consistently demonstrated within an operational environment.
Desirable: Previous experience of managing a team
Method of Assessment: Application form, interview, referencesKnowledge & Skills
Essential: Good computer literacy, sound numerical and verbal literacy skills. Knowledge of protection legislation
Method of Assessment: Application form, interview, testsPersonal Qualities
Essential: Good motivator and communication (primarily oral). Confident, resilient, organized, approachable and dependable
Method of Assessment: Application form, interviewMotivation & Expectation
Essential: Desire to deliver excellent customer service. High expectations of self and others
Method of Assessment: Application form, interviewA look at our benefits
At AIG, we have a 100-year legacy of working to make the world a better place. And that begins with our employees. We're proud to offer a range of employee benefits and resources that help you protect what matters most - your health care, savings, financial protection, and wellbeing. We provide a variety of leaves for personal, health, family, and military needs. For example, the "Giving Back" program allows you to take up to 16 hours a year to volunteer in your community.
We also believe in fostering our employees' development and offer a range of learning opportunities for employees to hone their professional skills to position themselves for the next steps of their careers. AIG also has a tuition reimbursement program for eligible employees to enhance their education, skills, and knowledge in areas that relate to their current position or future positions to which they may transfer or progress.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories. At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates are committed to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and its policies and procedures reflect this commitment. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories such as sexual orientation. At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
To learn more please visit:
AIG is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants and employees with physical or mental disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to complete any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
OP - OperationsEstimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%Relocation Provided: NoAIG Life LimitedSummary
- Location: Reigate
- Type: Full time