THE LEGAL DIVISION
We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you. OUR CULTURE
As a division we are focused on our people and their development and are committed to creating an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We offer numerous training and career development opportunities including a weekly legal training programme, divisional mentoring schemes and a people development committee tasked with providing tangible tools to help manage and develop careers. The division also has a number of active and varied committees including the Diversity, Pro Bono, Charity and Social Committees and encourages participation in the Women's, Black and LGBT firmwide affinity network THE TEAM & ROLE
We are looking for a qualified lawyer to join our Prime Services and Securities Financing Transactions (Prime & SFT) Legal team, which is part of the Global Markets Legal team. You will support the broader Prime business, with a particular focus on the firm's Prime Brokerage and client over-the counter (OTC) and exchange-traded derivatives (ETD) clearing businesses and ETD execution business. This role involves a mix of derivatives execution and derivatives clearing work; transactional work; assistance with strategic regulatory implementation and regulatory advice for the Prime business.
The Prime business provides a wide range of client services; including custody, clearing and settlement and financing solutions for Prime Brokerage clients as well as ETD and OTC clearing services and ETD execution services facilitating client access to ETD trading venues and OTC and ETD central clearing counterparties (CCPs) globally. The Prime business requires legal advice on the specific structure of these services and margin financing arrangements; legal expertise with respect to the use of various market infrastructure; work on legal questions related to a range of trading documentation; work on the legal aspects of new product development; implementation of strategic and regulatory change; and maintenance of relevant legal opinions. The Prime & SFT Legal team work with a broad range of stakeholders, including the Prime business, Compliance, Operations, Credit and Risk.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Advising on all aspects of derivatives execution and clearing services; including their structure, the relevant infrastructure involved and the relationships with other market counterparties, and requirements with respect to a diverse and global range of clients (with respect to their legal form and location).
- Advising on all aspects of Prime Brokerage services; including bespoke margining and financing arrangements, custody, clearing and settlement and the provision of Capital Introduction services.
- Legal advice with respect to the use of and arrangements with execution, clearing and custody / settlement market infrastructure; such as CCPs, trading venues, custodians, central securities depositories, intermediate brokers.
- Giving strategic advice to Prime leadership on a range of reputational and regulatory issues; in particular advising internal Credit and Risk Committees on potential changes to CCPs and their rules and requirements, and broader financial industry developments
- Advising and working on industry netting and collateral enforceability opinions related to different client-types and CCPs, and other types of legal opinions for purposes such as for client money and capital requirements
- Advising on and assisting with the negotiation of client agreements relating to the provision of Prime services, led by our team of negotiators.
- Advising on the implementation of and ongoing compliance with key relevant UK and EU regulations or associated obligations; including requirements for derivatives clearing under EMIR and the EMIR Refit Regulation, including FRANDT; the Central Securities Depositaries Regulation; UK and EU MiFID 2; MiFID 2 transaction reporting; AIFMD; the Short Selling Regulation; the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive; the Capital Requirements Regulation; and the UK FCA's Client Assets Sourcebook.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Strong educational background
- At least 5 years post qualification relevant experience in a comparable institution or in a well-regarded law firm
- Strong knowledge and experience advising on derivatives clearing and broader financial market regulations.
- Ability to apply legal concepts to complex clearing and trading scenarios and explain them in an accessible way
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to prioritise work effectively, be pro-active in a challenging business environment and to respond to client demands in a timely manner
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work successfully with a diverse range of stakeholders including the clearing, trading and sales teams; other control functions such as Credit, Risk and Compliance; Operations; and legal specialists across the global team
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity