Lead Data Engineer - Remote role
A leading UK Data Analytics company who provide an AI platform that improves the buying decisions of millions of internet users everyday, are looking to recruit a Lead Data Engineer to head up their team of Data Engineers. This role will suit a hands-on Data Engineer who is looking for a move into a Data Engineering Team Lead role.
This role is paying to £80k basic salary with a great benefits package, 33 days holiday and is offered on a fully remote basis.
The Lead Data Engineer's role responsibilities are split between guiding, managing and mentoring the data engineering team, and also being a hands-on Data Engineer on core company projects within the first 6 months while you get up to speed.
This company work with an Airflow / AWS / Fivetran / Snowflake / Looker data stack, and typically use Python and Docker in their data pipelines. You will have worked with similar data tools and technologies (but not necessarily the same) and be fluent with more general data engineering tools and techniques.
The Lead Data Engineer will be comfortable taking on the role of managing people and bringing out the best in them, confident advocating for your team when required, have excellent communication skills and also enjoy fostering best practices.
The Data Engineering team is also responsible for their product feeds. This is one of their key systems and involves extracting clients' product sets and stock availability from their systems and integrating their own - so any experience with APIs, web scraping, and contract or statistical testing would be a bonus.The person we're looking for:
You'll be responsible for:
- Passionate about designing and delivering solutions to complex problems
- Curious with a desire for continuous learning
- Friendly with a collaborative attitude to solving problems
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with great organisational skills
- Experienced and passionate for ELT projects, Data Modelling and Big Data
- Some Team mentoring or Team leadership experience
Skills and experience:
- Managing, mentoring and supporting the Data Engineering Team
- Serving as Data Engineering subject matter expert
- Collecting use cases and requirements from the wider data team and other
- makers to meet project briefs
- Translating use cases, pain points and success criteria into technical requirements
- Designing and getting sign off for architectural plans
- Designing, building, maintaining and upgrading data pipelines and self-service
- to provide clean, efficient results
- Writing automated tests to validate that requirements are met
- Promoting data governance through documentation, observability and controls
- Using version control and performing code reviews
- Promoting adoption of tools and best practices across the team
- Some experience managing and / or mentoring teams and people
- Strong commercial experience in a Senior Data Engineering role
- Solid experience leading projects
- Comfortable with ELT pipelines and the full data lifecycle
- Comfortable evaluating both business requirements and technical requirements
- A good understanding of techniques to deal with large datasets
- Experience with Data tools like Fivetran or Snowflake or Looker or similar would be beneficial
- Great Python/SQL/Cloud (AWS or similar) skills
- Experience handling real-time data
- Experience managing data pipelines over time and evolving them to meet new
This company offer a great benefits package which includes:
- R&D time every Friday afternoon.
- A budget for conferences, training, and events.
- A fun and creative work environment.
- Fully Remote working
- Healthcare, competitive company pension and bonus schemes.
- Time to create and develop your own ideas.
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays) plus birthdays off work as well.
If you would like to join one of the most exciting tech companies in the UK and be the driving force in a growing Data Engineering team using cutting edge tools a company that are building an innovative Big Data AI platform and applications used by hundreds of millions of people every day, then please get in touch to find out more?