Software Safety Engineer
NB'' Only sole British Nationals need apply.
My client is a dynamic global security and defence company providing innovative systems, products and solutions worldwide
You will be part of the functional safety engineering team supporting the delivery of a number of complex safety critical and safety related systems across multiple platforms.
The role is specifically to perform safety engineering analysis of software and complex hardware elements with the focus on certification of COTS PE based systems to IEC 61508, Def Stan 00-55 or similar. The primary activities will involve conducting analysis to determine the required safety integrity level for the control and safety functions within the system and to work with the engineering teams to ensure that suitable and sufficient evidence of compliance can be generated to support the certification safety argument.
The role will also require the safety engineer to be aware of the latest legislation and regulations impacting the projects they work on and to be able to analyse the relevant standards and regulations for areas that must be complied with.
· Be responsible to the Project Safety Manager, who leads the technical safety work and is responsible for generating the safety case.
· Undertake software safety analysis activities as directed by the project safety manager.
· Generate software safety requirements for the system to ensure that the customers safety targets and derived safety targets can be met by the system design (e.g. random hardware failure probabilities or systematic safety integrity level (SIL) targets for software and/or firmware.
· Support the planning of software safety activities on a complex project, including effort estimating to deliver the project milestones and safety case objectives.
· Generating and implementing certification plans for software and complex hardware elements to meet the safety integrity level requirements
· Supporting audits at internal and external design reviews and safety committee meetings
· Generating software safety analysis and documenting it in a report, which will be the subject of internal peer review, governance reviews and presenting the findings to the customer.
· Producing technical documentation to a high standard in accordance with company/customer procedures
· Travelling to customer and sub-contractor sites in the UK, occasionally overseas, as required
· Undertaking analysis that positively impacts the design decisions and solutions propose by the engineering teams
· Presenting complex and reasoned safety arguments to internal and external stakeholders in order to influence their consideration of safety decisions.
· Working collaboratively within multi-disciplined teams
· Proven and relevant work experience in a software-related engineering environment
· Understanding and demonstration of compliance to international and defence standards such as IEC 61508 and/or Def Stan 055
· Ability to understand hardware and software failure modes, causes and effects
· Experience in some areas safety/reliability analysis techniques: hazard identification and analysis, FMECA, FTA, Functional Failure Analysis
· Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team (e.g. systems, hardware, software and ILS engineers, project management, customer and supplier engineering teams)
· Degree, HND, HNC in Electrical/ Electronic/ Control/ Software/ Systems Engineering or related discipline
· Certified TÜV Functional Safety Professional
· Experience in achieving certification for SIL2 systems or equivalent
· Experience in safety assurance of COTS PE based systems or high integrity software
· Safety requirements capture and negotiation
· Experience of IEC 61511
· SCADA and PLC/D Development
· Experience of WIN CC OA or similar
· Knowledge of formal Validation and Verification processes
· UK Defence experience on maritime projects
For more information, please contact Adrian Weideman at Carbon60
on or .
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.