We are looking for a Trust Finance Manager to manage the internal financial reporting for the Federation head office, ensuring timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
The Federation is going through an exciting period of change and this role represents an excellent opportunity to be part of driving improvements within a large organisation, as part of a compact and high-performing central finance function.
You will provide financial support and advice to Head Office departments, including the Federation Senior Leadership Team, line manage the Assistant Management Accountant and oversee head office accounting and provide support to the Financial Controller and Director of Finance as required.
The successful candidate will be a qualified accountant with excellent interpersonal skills. They will be keen to develop the Federation's internal reporting and processes, rather than just continuing 'business as usual'. Academy sector experience is not required but is desirable. Strong candidates looking for a first move from practice are also encouraged to apply.About Us
The Harris Federation is a not-for-profit charity with almost 25 years' experience of education in and around London. We have built our reputation on a family of Academies that, across the board, are setting standards of excellence and fulfilling high expectations. Harris Federation exists to support and assist Academies to build upon their existing strengths to achieve rapid educational transformation. Harris Academies comprise academies in both the secondary and primary sectors, traditionally sponsored Academies as well as schools which have chosen to convert to Academy status. We also work alongside parent groups in promoting Free Schools.Main Areas of Responsibility
Qualifications & Experience
- Responsible for preparation of monthly management accounts for the Federation head office departments
- Prepare and monitor head office budgets, ensuring no overspends
- Provide business and financial support to the Senior Leadership Team as required
- Provide financial advice to budget holders preparing funding bids and business cases
- Line manage and develop the Assistant Management Accountant
- Take responsibility for Head Office accounting, including month end reviews
- Meet regularly with budget holders to assist in their budget management and stay up to date with activities
- Prepare year end papers and supporting schedules for head office activities
- Monitor the receipt and spend of donations across the Federation
- Review of monthly journals (e.g. prepayments, deferred income, academy recharges)
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for improving value for money
- Ad hoc tasks as required by the DFOD and FC
Rewards & Benefits
- CCAB Qualified Accountant
- Recent and relevant continued professional development
- Proven experience of preparing monthly budgets and providing meaningful commentary on management account variances.
- Finance experience and commercial skills encompassing the following: budgeting and planning, stakeholder management, strong financial and management information analysis skills and ability to disseminate timely, accurate and relevant reports to key stakeholders.
- Proven experience in preparing month end journals, including departmental recharges
- Previous experience in managing and developing staff
- Experience of involvement in year end preparation for the audit of statutory accounts
- Experience of working with senior management, including providing financial support to those with a non-financial background
- Strong Excel skills and experience of using a variety of software packages to generate reports
- Experience of the academy sector is desirable but not essential.
- Prior experience of PS Financials, SAP Concur and Orovia will also be beneficial.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.Safeguarding Notice
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.Equal Opportunities
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.