Our client educates around 700 children and young people, employs 150+ adults and has a turnover of nearly £13m. Their sole purpose is to help our children to be successful, joyful learners and to lead fulfilled lives. They seek to achieve this through contemporary education which is adventurous, well-focussed and well resourced. They are a young school, founded in 1990 and still maturing. They have ambitious plans for their future which you can help them realise.
The School Accountant will support the Director of Finance in the delivery of all statutory reporting for the school while maintaining the highest standards of financial controls. You will ensure that all financial systems used within the school are maintained, accurate and produce timely management information.
Responsibilities Statutory & regulatory accounting:
• Manage the preparation of the Financial Statements and the subsequent audit process through to satisfactory completion of the annual audit
• Be the lead for all audit work and liaise with external auditors and staff on all relevant matters
• Prepare monthly management accounts and other reports including cash flow
• Assure compliance with internal controls, to include identifying, enhancing and implementing internal control improvements
• Remain fully appraised of all financial rules and regulations that govern us to ensure the school remains compliant with regulation and reporting requirements
• Prepare all relevant papers, documentation and analysis for the Head, DoF, Board and Finance Committee.
• Ensure that accounts are prepared in accordance with the Companies Act and Charity Commission regulations.
• Ensure the accounting, fees and purchase order systems are maintained and are set up to deliver timely and meaningful management information
• Ensure all other systems such as online banking, payment runs and other governance arrangements are up to date
• Oversight of Fees, Payroll and Purchase Ledger
• In liaison with the Finance Officer, ensure all payroll tasks, set up and reporting are carried out in a timely manner and all necessary reconciliations are done including arrangements for P11D and taxation.
• Ensure all staff changes are formally approved as per internal controls
• Ensure appropriate accounting systems in place for the management of donations.
Other accounting & control duties:
• Ensure all financial controls across the school are in place and work effectively and efficiently
• Ensure key balance sheet accounts are reconciled and follow up any review points from these reconciliations
• Rigorous management of the school debtors ensuring that an accurate listing of debtors is maintained and that problem debts are recovered promptly including liaison with parents, our lawyers, small claims court etc
• Produce short, medium and long term cash flow forecasts as requested
• Ensure financial policies and procedures remain fit for purpose by monitoring, reviewing and developing them as necessary
For more information please contact Taylor Hawkes.