An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Principal Accountant to join Wiltshire Council on a contract basis.
As Principal Accountant, you'll play a key role to assist and support the Chief Accountant/Head of Finance in the efficient and effective provision of a comprehensive Finance Function. About the role
To assist and support the Chief Accountant/Head of Finance in the efficient and effective provision of a comprehensive Finance Function. Working effectively within and contributing to an excellent team that meets the customer and corporate needs. Supervising technical Accountants and Assistants to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Council's revenue; and/or HRA; and/or Schools; and/or Capital budgets, as well as the ongoing financial records relating to those accounts. Working to the direction of the Chief Accountant / Head of Finance, carry out necessary duties to assist in the closedown of the Council's Annual Statement of Accounts, in accordance with statutory requirements and the Council's policies and procedures. A Principal Accountant will be given responsibility for deputising for the Chief Accountant/Head of Finance as appropriate. This role provides professional skills based on knowledge and skills to deal with more complex areas of the Council's business, e.g. Housing (£85m) funds.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Take specific responsibility for the more complex (value and transactional) areas, for example linking expenditure and activity in areas such as Adult Social Care, Waste, Children's Social Care, etc, to ensure finance and performance can be analysed and reported together.
- Through the development of close and supportive working relationships with relevant officers at all levels across the Council, identify the need for management information and accounting systems which will enable secure budget monitoring and control. Supervise the efficient production of monthly revenue/capital/schools/HRA (as appropriate) budget monitoring and outturn projections to the highest level of completeness and accuracy, within deadline, and ensuring that trends and reasons/alternatives where under/over spend are identified. Identify further analysis and follow up to support investigation of significant variances from budget via ad-hoc reports. Ensure profiles are realistic and reflect trends.
- To review and identify areas for development/ improvement of the Council's financial system (SAP), in line with statutory and professional practices, and assist in the implementation of improvements. Feedback to Chief Accountant and Financial Systems Manager areas where data / processes could be improved to ensure efficiencies in the monitoring and setting of budgets as well as accounts closedown.
- Assist with the regular upkeep of the Council's Financial Procedure Regulations and to ensure that they are being effectively applied / complied with. Ensuring the Service control environment over such areas as virements, reconciliations and journals is managed in accordance with Financial Regulations.
- To provide professional advice, via financial comments, as directed on all member & officer decisions (routine and ad-hoc).
The ideal candidate for this position must have:
How To Apply
- Professional Accountancy qualification (CCAB) with post qualification relevant experience
- Significant experience of budgeting, statutory accounting and providing financial advice to nonfinance managers. including the following activities:
- Providing financial advice directly to senior non-finance officers, including Chief Officers.
- Managing finance staff undertaking budgeting, statutory accounting and financial administration work.
- Taking personal responsibility for budget development, budget monitoring and closing the accounts for large public sector services.
- Experience of committee work for Members, contact with Members, and work for overview and Scrutiny committees, or for similar groups involving elected Members.
- Significant Experience of /financial/ technical/accounting/Ledger maintenance
- Working on projects and carrying out financial analysis/modelling
- Able to analyse and interpret complex financial data and communicate findings clearly with staff with and without a financial background
- Project management
- Able to plan and prioritise work in order to meet strict deadlines
- Strong ICT skills, including Excel
- Understanding of financial systems and practical application of accounting standards
- Customer focus and able to responds positively to colleagues and customers
- Ability to stay calm and consider commercial factors.
- Ability to assess and act on information quickly
- Good listener, with good influencing skills
If you think you've got what it takes to succeed, or would love to find out more information, either
About Spencer Clarke Group
- Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
- Contact Matt Byrne Fraser on
- Email your CV to
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge in Accountancy and Finance and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive:
- Post Placement Aftercare
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £350* so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Matt Byrne Fraser on remembering to include your details as well.
*T's & C's apply.