Retail Customer Assistant
Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge
Together we can make a real difference
Belonging to the Royal Voluntary Service community means inspiring volunteers to support the nation's health and wellbeing. It means tackling the most pressing social issues in a workplace full of opportunities.
Our people are a welcoming team of individuals from every background who support one another to be their best. They are also some of the country's most compassionate and dedicated people who step forward to help make society better connected and more inclusive - where everyone can thrive.
Royal Voluntary Service hospital cafés, shops and trolleys are part of the fabric of the NHS and a real asset in their own right.
Staffed by volunteers and employees, we provide an outstanding range of healthy food choices. Our customers love the fact that the money they spend with us pays for volunteer action in hospitals and the community.
We are looking for talented, passionate people with the right skills and experience to work with us to deliver our mission - to keep people happy, healthy and connected in our communities and hospitals.
What you'll be doing
Working alongside a friendly team of employees and volunteers, as a Retail Customer Assistant, you will participate in the day-to-day running of our cafés and retail stores in Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.
In this busy role, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the delivery of exceptional store standards
- Providing friendly, helpful and efficient service at all times
- Operating the till and undertaking cash reconciliation
- Ensuring we comply with associated H&S and food hygiene standards policies and procedures
- Receiving incoming deliveries
- Maintaining and rotating stock as appropriate
- Assisting in regular stock checks
- Assisting in co-ordinating volunteers
What you will need
Working in a hospital requires a special kind of customer service. Your ability to communicate with a variety of people in a friendly and cheerful way will make a real difference to someone's day.
To be considered as a Retail Customer Assistant, you will need:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- The willingness to undertake training and development
Previous experience in a retail environment would be beneficial to your application. Knowledge and experience of general administrative processes would also be advantageous, as would good IT skills.
Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to pre-employment checks. This may include a criminal record check.
Why you should join our team
We're proud to be in the top 25 not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK, based on ratings from Indeed. As a valued employee at Royal Voluntary Service, you will benefit from:
- An hourly rate of £8.91 per hour
- The chance to make a positive, lasting impact that changes lives, communities and society
- An employee benefits package that gives access to an exclusive rewards website, 24-hour doctor line, financial support with dental/optical and other therapies
- A free and confidential employee assistance programme with up to six face-to-face sessions built-in
- Opportunities to discuss flexible working
- Access to award-winning e-learning and development
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- A great pension scheme
- Enhanced Family Leave schemes
- Six weeks company sick pay
- 25 days' holiday plus paid statutory Bank Holidays
Join Royal Voluntary Service and together we can change lives, change communities and change society.
How to apply
To apply for the position of Retail Customer Assistant, please select the apply button shown to be brought through to the application process.
The closing date for applications is the 8th February 2022.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
This is a full-time role working 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, however, we are also willing to consider two part-time positions.
Here at Royal Voluntary Service, we're committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to be a charity that's representative of the communities we serve, which is why we strive for diversity of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective.
We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a preferred supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Retail Assistant, Shop Assistant, Café Assistant, Store Assistant, Sales Assistant, Retail Sales Assistant, Retail Sales Advisor, Sales Advisor, or Customer Service Assistant