About the role
Reporting directly to the Senior Engineer, the Project Engineer shall manage complex engineering projects across a broad range of business units and markets. Responsible for delivering value and customer satisfaction through innovation and engineering development.
The Project Engineer plays a pivotal role within the engineering function proactively identifying opportunities to expose the teams capabilities, strengthen the engineering function and increase the capacity of specialist projects in flight.
What you'll be doing
As a Project Engineer you will have the following accountabilities:
- Identify opportunities to introduce specialist and non-specialist products through evolutionary and revolutionary innovation for Plant & Fleet to add value and to strengthen Plant & Fleet portfolio.
- Translate business opportunities into feasible business cases and project plans.
- Negotiate and secure investment leveraging stakeholder engagement to expedite approvals and project assurance.
- Initiate, manager and lead complex engineering projects proactively engaging with the client to de-risk, maximise customer satisfaction and add value through safety, automation, return on investment and the engineering functions brand.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders at all levels and with strategic business units to promote awareness for engineering functions capabilities and to increase throughput of tangible projects.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Engineering qualification at degree level..
- Registered on a professional development scheme working toward professional status.
- Project Management Qualification (APMP, PRINCE 2 etc.)
- Experience of managing engineering projects with a strong ethic on managing risk, budget, safety and quality.
- Previous experience of client and stakeholder management.
- Firm understanding of and belief to drive health & safety principles in line with Balfour Beattys Zero Harm philosophy.
- Experience of managing project budgets.
- Experience and demonstratable competence in hazard identification and mitigation techniques/procedures.
- Dynamic, open, honest and willing to develop own skills particularly managing personnel and commercial awareness.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Plant & Fleet Services proudly provides comprehensive plant, vehicle and equipment services to the Balfour Beatty Group in the UK. From our innovative Site Mobilisation Hub, we make sure that HGVs, tower and crawler cranes, and piling equipment (and more) get to the right place at the right time.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at:
Plant Fleet Services
UK, East Midlands, Derby