Duty Operations Manager 037834Organisation - Woolwich FerryJob - River ServicesPosition Type - Full Time
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using a two-page CV and a covering letter in Word (.docx) format. Salary:
circa 60,000 including unsociable hours allowance - subject to qualification and experienceMain Location:
The Woolwich Ferry is a free vehicle and pedestrian ferry service across the River Thames in East London. The ferry service links Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich on the south bank, to North Woolwich in the borough of Newham on the north bank. It also links two ends of the inner London orbital road routes, the North and South Circulars. In excess of two million passengers use the ferry service each year.
There has been a Thames ferry service at Woolwich since the 14th Century. The original small open hand powered vessels and thereafter paddle steamers, are a long way from the two-diesel electric battery hybrid vessels which entered service early in 2019, accompanied by the intelligent docking and locking systems (IDLS) at the north and south terminals.Job Purpose:
As the Duty manager you will be responsible for the management and delivery of safe, efficient and cost-effective services encompassing all areas of the operation, including but not limited to resources, assets and infrastructure both ashore and afloat. This includes, but is not limited to, the health and safety, security and protection of all personnel; including staff, customers, contractors, suppliers and other members of the public; and the protection of the environment and conservation of energy at all times.
You will maintain and deliver the service to the highest possible best in class customer service standards and ensure a continuous state of readiness and availability. You will also ensure compliance with all local and national requirements; and in accordance with TfL's policies, procedures and standards for the provision of public transport services and other applicable best practice.
Duty manager will be also responsible for supporting the implementation and continual improvement of operational procedures and policies, the training and development of personnel and service resilience and improvement and maintaining, promoting and developing effective relations with all appropriate stake holders.Key Accountabilities:
- Manage, direct and oversee vessel and shoreside operations to ensure maximum positive customer experience and operational culture of excellence.
- Advise the Head of Marine Operations, to include but not be limited to safe operations, service provision and reliability, security, protection of the environment and conservation of energy.
- Coordinate the implementation, monitoring and enforcement of Company policies and procedures.
- Lead the management, monitoring, development and performance of on duty operational personnel and to ensure compliance with minimum safe manning and operational requirements both on a day to day basis, as well as plan for longer term requirements through a longer-term resource plan.
- Assume the duties of On Scene Commander (OSC) and initial response co-ordinator during emergency situations as required.
- Develop, revise and implement all matters relating to safety, security and emergency response planning, drills and training; including all emergency response documentation.
- Qualified to STCW II/2 Chief Mate level and/or National Boatmaster qualification with a Local Knowledge Endorsement as a minimum. (Desirable)
- Fully knowledgeable of the requirements of an Operations Manager's responsibilities under the International Safety Management (ISM) Code and international/UK legislation for passenger/freight ferry operations. (Desirable)
- Detailed knowledge of the issues for the safe, effective and efficient provision of all Woolwich Ferry and associated landside terminals services, together with the production, adherence to, and enforcement of associated safe and efficient systems of work, plans, policies and standard operating procedures; associated compliance with International and UK legislation/regulatory requirements e.g. Maritime and Coastguard Agency, ISM Code and ISO requirements. (Desirable)
- Good working knowledge of Marine/Classification regulations and requirements, including local authority rules and regulations. (Desirable)
- Good working knowledge of Industrial Relations practices and principles.
- Problem-solving and analysis
- Compliance with regulations
- Planning/organising and negotiating
- Security and safety awareness
- Auditing, training, procurement and stock control
- Use of Microsoft Office applications
- Extensive and recent experience in the daily operations and management of passenger/freight ferries, and their attendant landside terminals and/or other transportation services, hubs or facilities.
- Experience and successful track record in the planning and management of marine and landside operational functions and/or other transportation services; the formulation, publication, and training of all staff in safety awareness, security, company procedures and their on-going development.
- Appropriate experience of marine crew and landside operators training delivery and/or other transportation services; experience in training delivery using bridge simulators and issue appropriate certification for such to staff.
- Enhanced personnel skills for negotiation, and achievement, of improved service levels and cost reduction.
Please apply using your CV and a two-page covering letter.
Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV and cover letter.The closing date for applications is 26th January 2022
We may close this advert early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications. Benefits
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme
- Tax-efficient childcare payments
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel