This position is based at our Optical Systems Innovation Hub in St Asaph, North Wales and focuses on mechanical system design and development of new imaging and sighting systems for Aerospace & Defence and Life Science. You will be working with colleagues across the business including product management and business development to support new commercial opportunities as well as operations, supporting technology transfer to manufacture. This is an exciting opportunity to join a multidisciplinary team of development engineers working on new cutting-edge products and applications including multi-band sighting systems for increased situational awareness as well as next-generation advanced medical imaging that will drive and deliver sustained revenue growth.
Tasks & Responsibilities
* Provide mechanical systems engineering inputs from concept through testing and on to manufacture
* Assist with requirements capture and specification definition, sensitivity analysis, reliability analysis as required
* Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
* Produce designs of mechanical assemblies, opto-mechanical sub-assemblies and mechanisms for electro optical systems.
* Interfacing with and managing sub-contractors and suppliers
* Prepare presentations and reports for both formal and informal design reviews.
* Support handover of product data packs from design through to production
* Work with Business Development and Engineering teams to support new opportunities and generate solutions for customers
* Drive products from design, to prototyping up to environmental qualification following internal or customer-driven NPI
* Travel expected to be
Skills and Experience Required
Essential skills and experience
* Bachelor's degree level in Mechanical engineering,
* At least 3 - 5 years' mechanical design experience within a precision industry
* Comprehensive knowledge of 3D CAD, component design, assembly creation and production of drawings in accordance with BS.8888.
* Experience of design of precision machines and mechanisms.
* Experience of packaging electronics into systems enclosures.
* Understanding of common engineering materials and finishing techniques.
* Create and maintain technical documentation that supports the product development process including product specifications, data packs, manuals and end user instructions
* Knowledge of finite element techniques to predict and simulate performance of proposed designs.
* Ability to create and give presentations to customers and partners
Nice-to-have skills and experience
* Knowledge of Solidworks and PDM.
* Understanding of pneumatic and hydraulic systems
* Some experience of opto-mechanical design would be an advantage.
* Understanding of qualification standards (e.g. MIL, STANAG, ESCC/ECSS)
* Knowledge or experience of the full design lifecycle, including taking designs from initial negotiations through requirements capture, sub-system design, hardware design and test to final integration.
Renumeration and Benefits
* 26 days A/L plus BH
* 6% Co. contributory pension (min 3% from EE) - salary exchange facility offered (ER NI savings put back into EE contribution pot)
* Continuous Personal Development will be actively encouraged and supported