Have you ever considered teaching... in a prison?
If you would like a unique and challenging teaching role, where you can genuinely make a difference, enhance the prospects of your learners, and ultimately change people's lives for the better - then this could be the opportunity for you.
Like any educational setting, Prisons come with their challenges. In this environment, learners are locked up for large periods of the day, away from their families and for some, their children. Most are at rock bottom, having to live with the regret of what they have done - education gives them a focus. And hope.
Education provides prisoners with an opportunity to upskill, increasing their future employment prospects which directly reduces the likelihood of reoffending. Many prisoners will arrive without having basic Maths or English skills. Prison Education ensures all learners are put through Functional Skills Maths & English, which then puts them on the pathway to vocational learning courses, such as Carpentry, Bricklaying, Painting & Decorating, Plastering & Tiling, Cleaning, Barbering, Catering and Horticulture.
Prisons have a dedicated education department, with classrooms and fully functioning workshops, where teaching and learning can take place. You will be fully supported by an experienced education department. Training and development opportunities are available.
Details of this position:
This position is for an Assistant Curriculum Manager to work at a Category B/C local Prison for Adult Males, on the Isle of Sheppey. This role is a combination of both teaching and management duties, where the successful candidate will work under the direction of the Curriculum Manager to assist and deliver an innovative and relevant curriculum that meets the PEF contract requirements, and to enable high quality teaching within the establishment, to meet identified learning needs, support the reducing re-offending agenda and improve employability & resettlement prospects.
This role could be for an experienced teacher, lecturer or team-leader, looking to take their first step into management or a current curriculum manager looking to move into prison education.
You must be a qualified and experienced teacher with an understanding of current pedagogical research and an associated range of inspirational teaching methodologies to maximise engagement and progression, including meeting the needs of SEND learners. A flexible, positive and quality focused approach is essential.
The Assistant Curriculum Manager should be ready and able to deputise for the Prison Curriculum Manager.
There is flexibility as to what subject the suitable candidate will deliver. They could specialise in an academic subject like Functional Skills English or Maths, ESOL, or a vocational subject such as Horticulture, Catering or Construction. There is no one subject area that is necessarily required, however they will need to have a flexible approach to teaching and be willing to upskill in order to deliver some courses outside their specialist area. More information on this can be provided.
As post-holder you will be accountable to the Curriculum Manager and play a crucial supporting role in ensuring the following:
• Effective leadership, motivation and delegated line management of the prison teaching or administration team.
• Assisting with the recruitment, scheduling and utilisation of staff whilst assuring the quality of their work.
• Positively contributing to the effective monitoring and delivery of all targets including but not exclusively, recruitment, retention, achievement, success, quality and attendance and the teacher quality management plan.
• Working with the CM to Ensure compliance with and implementation of HR Policies including the effective management of performance, grievances, disciplinary and absence management processes in order to promote good employee relations and promote staff wellbeing.
• Successful delivery of the contracted curriculum through regular monitoring, promoting and exceptional deployment of resources.
• Support appropriately and as delegated with the robust monitoring of internal verification and quality assurance systems in conjunction with awarding body criteria, including professionally overseeing External Verification meetings.
• Successfully contributing to the future planning of the curriculum and working in partnership with the prison to ensure a fully appropriate and deliverable curriculum for the prison that meets local, regional and national employer needs.
Work schedule: Monday to Friday - 37 hours per week
Work time: 8:00 - 16:30, with a 16:00 finish on Fridays
Salary scale: £33,603 - £34,642
Holidays: 30 days + bank holidays
To be considered, suitable candidates will need to meet the following criteria:
* A teaching qualification (Level 4 or above)
* A degree or vocational qualification (related to your subject specialism)
* Experience teaching in an education setting
* Experience teaching within a Further education setting (desirable)
* Experience teaching Adult Learners (desirable)
Suitable candidates will need to be enthusiastic, resilient and have a humanistic approach. This role will not be for everyone, but anyone with a slight interest is encouraged to apply and if suitable, you will have the opportunity to have a discussion with the hiring manager directly over the phone, who can provide more detail and an insight into life working in a prison.
If you are interested in this position, then please apply via the link. Alternatively, you can contact Chris to discuss the role in further detail.
If this vacancy is not of interest to you at this time, but you happen to know someone who might be suitable and interested, then please kindly pass these details on to them.
Dovetail and Slate is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, applicants and clients to share this commitment.
This role may involve work with under 18's or vulnerable adults. Any appointment will be made subject to strict vetting and screening checks and receipt of a satisfactory enhanced DBS check. Dovetail and Slate ltd acts as an Employment Agency (perm) and an Employment Business (temp/contract)