Function: Documentation Technician (Manufacturing)
Rate: �13.33 p.h
Reporting Line: Manufacturing Systems Manager
Objective: To produce and maintain support documentation for the clients' products,in accordance with the house style and to the quality standards.The support documentation includes but is not limited to build notes and is for the use all internal personnel.
* Plan, research, write, and edit documents from conception to delivery to fulfil customer requirements.
* Convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English to ensure understanding by the reader.
* Create or commission photographs or illustrations to complement the text in documents.
* Manipulate text and images to create well-structured documentation that is easily absorbed by the target user.
* Use consistent and correct terminology to avoid confusion and misunderstanding.
* Gather information by studying existing technical content, interviewing subject matter experts and where necessary interacting with the product directly, to ensure accurate and complete documentation.
* Monitor related information sources and attend appropriate project meetings to determine and communicate requirements, priorities and dependencies, to ensure timely delivery of documentation.
* Follow requirements to ensure that documentation meets all requirements for compliance with industry and international standards and directives.
* With the product Technical Authority, scrutinise, proof read and edit as necessary all documentation produced, to ensure complete accuracy of content and presentation prior to distribution.
* Maintain the accuracy of all technical publication databases/records by amending them as required, to ensure compliance with all required standards.
Nature and Scope
Internal and external factors
The position requires collaboration with Clevedon production staff and the support of
engineering functions and so is dependent on their input as well as the writer's own
Pattern of work cycle
To plan the allocated work on a daily or weekly basis, according to the requirements of the
Knowledge, skills and experience required
* Production of test and/or service-related documentation in related or similar engineering fields.
* Qualified to degree or HNC/HND in mechanical or electromechanical engineering; appropriate time served apprenticeships or forces experience will be considered.
* At least three years technical writing experience in an engineering environment, either employed by an engineering company or an agency.
* Ability to work to deadlines.
* Methodical and logical work, showing accuracy and attention to detail, and demonstrating the ability to work using own initiative with good organisation and consistency of process adherence.
* Excellent people skills - able to influence others, work in a team, foster collaboration and facilitate meetings and other activities that may aid the production and delivery of effective technical publications.
* A good working knowledge and recent use of:
* Microsoft Word
* An XML authoring application, especially oXygen
* Any illustration/graphic design/digital photography/photo editing applications
* Able to accurately interpret mechanical drawings and electrical diagrams, and also data and