Test Automation Engineer
Metadata Technology is looking for an experienced web services test automation engineer to join our UK-based software development team.
Metadata Technology creates innovative software for central banks, international organisations and government statistics offices worldwide to produce and publish 'official statistics' on topics such as exchange rates, health, population and the environment.
Our technical stack
You'll focus exclusively on testing our Java server-side components using their REST web service API.
The software can be deployed on premises and integrated with a variety of web application servers, directory servers, middleware and databases including Oracle, MySQL and SQL Server. We use test automation to provide confidence that the products work and perform in these different configurations and environments.
SoapUI is currently used for test automation, but its limitations mean we plan to replace it.
JIRA is used for bug tracking, and Slack for communication.
What you'll be doing
* Take ownership of the test automation problem - we'll be relying on you to ensure the suite of web service tests is well designed, well maintained and sufficiently comprehensive to reliably detect regressions, defects and performance problems
* Collaborate with the software development and infrastructure specialists to select and deploy a suitable web services test automation framework to replace SoapUI
* Work with the CI/CD specialists to integrate web service test automation into the build pipeline
* Migrate the existing test suite from SoapUI
* Take a pivotal role in the development and release cycle by creating tests for new functionality - these tests must be in place to pass the release gate
* Maintain a traceability matrix recording automation test coverage of software functionality / use cases
* Identify where most risk lies and prioritise testing effort in those areas
You will deliver the following results
* 100% coverage of the web services APIs
* Continuous improvement in use case test coverage - i.e. the breadth of testing for each web service is expected to increase over time with the goal of ensuring all practical use cases and operating scenarios are covered
* A test suite capable of detecting and reporting granular performance changes between versions of the software products under test
* Assurance on web service regressions, defects and performance as part of each release gate approval, together with a reliable assessment of residual risk
* Continuous reduction in regressions reported in production releases
* Minimise the feedback loop and provide timely test results for the developers to act upon by executing the automation in a CI/CD pipeline on code check in
You are a practicing professional test engineer with
* 3 or more years professional experience of web service API software test automation using modern, frameworks, tools and techniques
* Sound technical knowledge of software testing theory and practice
* A track record of systematically analysing what needs to be done to achieve comprehensive, rigorous and reliable test automation, and leading a programme of transformation to achieve that result
* Degree in computer science/software engineering/mathematics/physics or related technical subject is highly desirable
Location and working arrangements
You'll need to be UK-based and are required to attend physical team meetings in Surrey or London periodically, the frequency depending on your location. International travel may also be required (pandemic situation permitting).
Join a small but dynamic team working on innovative statistical software products for high-profile international clients.