The System Solution Specialist works within the Chief Technology Officer organisation and reports to the Head of Network Evolution Design. The purpose of the role is to ensure that the requirements placed on the Metering system are translated into practical implementations that are effective and efficient. The System Solution Specialist ensures that, as the project passes from inception to delivery, the principles underlying the design remain consistent and that problems identified in the transition to live operation are resolved without compromising that original vision.
* Ensure that system requirements are translated effectively into solution designs.
* Present solution designs to the clients Design Authority and progress through both internal and external governance.
* Ensure that the solutions are implemented in a way that meets the original requirement.
* Resolve issues that lay behind the system requirements.
* Ensure that change request to requirements are coherent and that they integrate correctly with the wider client systems.
* Ensure the client service providers meet the needs identified in the Change Requests in an effective and cost-efficient manner.
* The handover of application process material and knowledge transfer to the clients Design and Assurance function.
* Providing continuity of solution design expertise and knowledge transfer.
* Supporting the design and development of operational processes, aligned to Service Provider contract requirements, Smart Energy Code and Licence Conditions.
Skills & Experience Essential:
▪ Systems/Software engineering background in large scale distributed systems
▪ Strong delivery focus utilising standard Architectural patterns
▪ Strong understanding of Big Data as well as large volumes of Data
▪ Strong understanding of logical and physical data entities and storage and transmission
▪ Strong understanding of Enterprise Integration Patterns
▪ Experience of architectural frameworks such as TOGAF or Zackman
▪ Experience of modelling languages such UML, ArchiMate and BPML.
▪ Experienced in applying architectural tools and methods
▪ A self-starting individual with a strong work ethic capable of planning and managing own time effectively. Ability to perform under pressure and to work using own initiative and drive.
▪ Creative problem solving and analysis skills with an ability to identify develop and implement solutions to gaps to meet the needs of the business
▪ Excellent verbal and written (including presentation) communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
▪ Able to build relationships and network at all levels.
▪ Able to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy
Skills and experience Desirable:
▪ Experience of one or more headend / data collections system for smart metering installations
▪ Good understanding of Device Manager functionalities for smart meters such as firmware distribution, diagnostics, ad-hoc messages, scheduled messages, remote configurations, remote interfaces etc.
▪ Experience in multi-vendor end to end solution designs
▪ Experience of smart metering systems
▪ Oversee governance and mitigate risk
▪ Existing / established relationships with Service Provider, BEIS and Energy Industry representatives
▪ Knowledge and understanding of Smart Metering UK specifications (e.g. DUIS, GBCS, SMETS2) and Smart Energy Code
▪ Previous systems architecture experience in telecoms and/or utilities
▪ Design and development experience using a wide range of technologies such as Linux, Java, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Apache Ignite, Docker, Wildfly , NGINX , Kubernetes including CNI management, AWS, Java EE, PKI solutions, microservices, Virtual Private Cloud design, public internet networking including cross site networking, multi-site load balancing, DNS, auto-scalability, system management, Remote Access Services, telemetry