Our client is a leading set specialising in Commercial Litigation, Insurance, Reinsurance, Professional Negligence, IT and Telecoms, Tax, Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence. They currently seek an experienced Accounts Assistant/Fees Clerk to support fee collection and to perform general accounts tasks including accurate processing of transactions on Sage 50, preparing weekly supplier payments, reviewing expense claims, assisting with year-end procedures, and responding appropriately to queries.
The successful applicant will have previous bookkeeping experience and 5+ years' of fee collection or aged debt management.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 9:30am - 6:00pm (remote working)
Reports to: Chambers Administrator
Acting in accordance with Chambers' policies and procedures:
* Ensure that fees are collected promptly and in an appropriate manner, consistent with the level of service clients expect from chambers
* Perform general accounts tasks including processing customer/supplier invoices accurately and efficiently, posting to Sage 50, responding appropriately to customer/supplier queries
* Undertake other ad hoc accounts/fee collection related tasks or projects
* Review aged debt reports and consult LEX Workflow to identify specific fees to be chased, contact clients to request payment, complete detailed case notes for the benefit of clerks/barristers and adjust the relevant fee cycle as appropriate.
* Ensure that LEX Workflow is managed effectively, that routine reminders are produced, issued and followed-up methodically and efficiently.
* Process cheque and BACS payments, file payment notifications on the relevant case record and issue receipts.
* Deal with enquiries concerning fee related matters. Respond to requests for copy invoices/receipts, barrister bank details, etc. and update individual profiles with the appropriate information.
* Prepare and submit applications for payment(s) on account, final bills via the Legal Aid Agency Portal.
* Obtain valid EU VAT certificates or equivalent proofs and adjust/update VAT for relevant cases.
* Liaise with clerks to adjust fee notes and provide reconciliations as required. Liaise with counsel regarding points of dispute.
* Provide routine reports/updates to members of chambers as required. Alert the Chambers Administrator to cases that may require intervention and escalation (legal action/Joint Tribunal Service).
* Provide ad hoc/project assistance to the Chambers Administrator in fee collection and related matters, including providing cover for absent colleagues.
* Daily management of petty cash, including posting entries to Sage and completing monthly account reconciliation.
* Preparation of customer invoices/credit notes on a monthly basis (or on ad hoc basis as required), including processing direct debit payment requests.
* Processing supplier invoices/credit notes posting these to Sage, dealing with supplier queries, as required.
* Preparing and processing supplier payment runs.
* Preparing standard and bespoke reports, as necessary.
* Provide ad hoc/project assistance to the Chambers Administrator in accounts and related matters, including providing cover for absent colleagues.
Essential experience and skills:
* Previous experience of bookkeeping, fee collection and aged debt management within chambers or in a similar legal environment.
* Working knowledge of fee collection software and Sage 50.
* Excellent numeracy and IT skills including intermediate Excel, Word and Outlook.
* Capable of operating in a professional and demanding environment with the ability to act in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner and apply discretion, tact and diplomacy at all times