A successful manufacturer of special purpose machinery is seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to work in their inhouse design engineering team in Somerset.
* Accurate design and optimisation of mechanical components.
* Produce accurate, clear and defined drawings for component manufacture.
* Demonstrate good problem-solving skills and a creative approach for new ideas.
* Support projects, deliver on time and within budget.
* Interface with outside suppliers to ensure best results and maintaining good commercial awareness.
* Development of conceptual ideas to fully detailed designs
* Test and development of prototype assemblies
* Develop and maintain appropriate in-house product knowledge base.
* Present design plans and data for technical reviews.
* Adopt Value Engineering principles, ensure that products are fit for purpose and improve the cost-effectiveness, quality and time required of manufacture.
* Support Sales by providing design concepts for bespoke machinery and estimates of time and costs for the design element of potential new projects in a timely manner.
* Maintain knowledge of current state-of-the-art and trends for the future in packaging machinery.
* A proven record of success as a Design Engineer preferably in a related industry.
* Specialist technical knowledge - packaging machines, special-purpose machines, design (including calculations).
* Able to demonstrate an independent, pro-active and confident approach to managing project-based work.
* Good working knowledge of Value Engineering and continuous improvement/Lean and estimating skills.
Key words: mechanical engineer mechancal engineering imeche mechanical design engineer product design engineer machinery design engineer industrial design engineer industrial design engineering packaging engineer packaging design engineer