J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves lives by delivering world-class infrastructure.
Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including Transportation, Water, Power, Natural Resources, and Construction & Property.
Headquartered in London, we also have a number of related businesses - Ground Engineering; Utility Connections; Murphy Plant; Urban Infrastructure; Murphy Process Engineering; Pipeline Testing Services; Specialist Welding Services; and Electrical Services. We are specialists in delivering pipelines; design; marine; structural steel; tunnelling; fabrication; bridges and piling; and invest heavily in our substantial holding of plant; equipment and facilities.
Murphy employs around 3,500 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives around the world. Together, we work as 'One Murphy' by directly delivering the people, plant and expertise needed to make projects a success.
There's more to Murphy.
Senior Engineer - Commissioning - Based Peterborough
Are you a Senior Engineer looking for the next step in your career? If so then here at J.Murphy & Sons we are keen to hear from you! As an Investors in People accredited employer, we are looking for somebody who is ready to take the next step up, this opportunity will offer continued growth and development throughout the project.
This role exists to provide a cost conscious and safe engineering service to the Compressor Project, with a specific focus on Commissioning. You will manage junior engineers on site and assists the Project Manager in construction operations.
What you will be doing
* Supervise assistant and site engineers
* Assist with design schemes
* Take a personal interest in identifying, coaching, and developing key staff
* Monitor the work under their control to ensure that any unsafe work conditions and non-compliance with Company policies and procedures are promptly remedied
* Maintain good working relations with client / designer / Team, together with our supply chain
* Advise engineers on setting out methods and techniques
* Ensure that the drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of the works. Formally request any missing information in sufficient time to allow the programme to proceed without delay
* Communicate with foremen and supervisors to ensure full understanding of information provided
Who we are looking for
* Experience of working on Compressor stations would be advantageous
* Commissioning specialist, with a focus on the Gas industry
* Previous experience of Civils and Infrastructure projects, and working with National Grid projects
* Qualified Engineer
* An understanding of the commercial issues in undertaking a large-scale construction project
* Ability and confidence to discuss engineering issues with people across various levels and disciplines, including the client's representatives
* Excellent knowledge of current civil engineering legislation as well as Health & Safety and Environmental legislation
* Forward thinking; able to anticipate and project challenges and plan for change
* Charity is at the heart of Murphy values; you will receive 2 days leave per year to donate your time to a charity of your choosing. Many teams choose to support a charity together to positively impact our communities.
* Access to Murphy Wellbeing: you will have access to a host of online tools, mental health trained colleagues, and if needs be external professional support because we understand that work and life offers challenges that sometimes need a little extra support.
* Murphy is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture, making Murphy a great place to work where we can all thrive. You can get involved in numerous events and even join our committee dedicated to continuously nurturing Murphy's inclusive culture.
If you think Murphy is the place to help you thrive in a great team dedicated to delivery and engineering excellence, and want to work in an inclusive team culture that rewards performance and drives personal development, then get in touch.
What you'll get in return
* Dedicated and continued investment in your professional development.
* 27 days holiday, plus bank holidays with the option to buy or sell 2 holiday days
* Discretionary annual bonus
* Above market rate contributory pension scheme
* Other benefits if applicable
* Other Murphy benefits include retail discounts and cashback, discounted gym memberships, cycle to work scheme etc
Due to the requirements of the role, in addition to our standard identity and right to work checks, successful candidates will be asked to undertake a basic Disclosure and Barring Service check.
We're proud to have become the latest employer to #BantheBoxUK and reduce barriers to employment for people with criminal records. Employers often ask candidates about criminal convictions at the initial stage of a job application. If so, people with convictions are often excluded from roles for which they may be qualified and capable of doing.
By signing up to @Business in the Community's Ban the Box campaign, we have committed to:
* Removing the tick box from our job application forms that asks about criminal convictions
* Considering applicants' skills, experience, and ability to do the job before asking about criminal convictions
* Ensuring that the circumstances of any convictions are fairly assessed before a decision is made