Baker and Baker Recruitment are recruiting for an exciting opportunity for a Powertrain Project Engineer, for one of our clients based in the Banbury area.
Job Title: Powertrain Project Engineer
Salary: c£45k (Depending on Experience)
Purpose of the Role
We have a great opportunity for a talented Project Engineer, specialising in high-performance powertrains, to join our team based in the UK. We are looking for an individual that shares our vision for exquisitely designed products, delivering world-class attribute targets in a fast passed, high-performing environment.
Supporting the Engine Engineering Manager, the role of Project Engineer is responsible for the management and delivery of a wide range of Powertrain systems.
* Reporting to the Engine Engineering Manager, you will be working on all aspects of the powertrain on current and future vehicle programmes.
* Working on a wide range of Powertrain systems and components such as engine, exhaust, and intake systems, and powertrain mounting systems.
* "Cradle to Grave" approach - working within a cross-functional team from the R&D stage, through concept, design release, production launch, and series production support to collectively deliver the whole vehicle specification targets and contribute to the overall business KPIs.
* Responsible to release designs that meet the following targets through coordination of internal and external design resources:
1. Cost (Piece, Tooling, D&D)
2. Performance (As specified through the full vehicle attributes and cascaded down to Component level specification)
4. Feasibility (supporting in house manufacturing or assembly processes as well as supplied components)
* Responsible for Problem Solving:
1. From problem avoidance at the early stages of new projects (Risk Assessments, FMEA, Lessons learnt)
2. To practical problem-solving at the prototype stage and in series production.
* Responsible for accurate reporting:
1. Bill Of Materials management (part numbering, structuring, design change process)
2. Weight management through correct management of the BOM
3. Costs (including spend forecast, risks, and opportunities)
* Project status reporting
1. Responsible for cost engineering of powertrain parts:
2. Rapid and accurate cost estimation to support conceptual decisions at the early stages of a project
3. More detailed estimation to assure design releases meet cost targets and to support robust purchasing decisions
4. Continuous improvement of cost estimation techniques and abilities through market intelligence, T&M studies, and value analysis.
* Responsible for technical standardisation of best practices in powertrain design, engineering, and technology.
* Responsible for authoring component and systems technical specifications.
* Support a cross-functional team including external suppliers' network, quality, logistics, vehicle engineering, and development, purchasing and manufacturing engineers
* Preparation and presentation of material to support external and internal project status reviews.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
* Experienced in low volume, high-performance engine design, motorsport, or OEM component delivery
Low volume, less than 100 units per annum, experience preferred
Knowledge of high-performance engine system design & engineering including manufacturing & assembly processes, material selection, system performance, and thermal management.
* Failure mode avoidance techniques.
* Knowledge & experience of full product lifecycle activities including feasibility assessment, concept work, design control, problem control and resolution, cost and weight management, supplier management, and series product introduction through a number of product programmes.
* Have an awareness of statutory requirements for health, safety, fire, and hygiene.
* Working in a high-pressure environment to tight deadlines, the successful candidate will be capable of managing their own plans and being self-motivated to deliver in such an environment.
* You must be confident working within a multi-disciplined organisation and influencing and negotiating with individuals across the whole organisation.
Reference ID: PPE001