We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants, and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Arup is one of the leading engineering and advisory firms. Through our work, we shape a better world.The Opportunity
Arup has a Geo-Environmental centre of excellence in the Midlands. A team of nine specialists supports a wide range of projects as well as export technical know-how regionally and globally. The team would now benefit from a new leader.The Role:
The role includes conducting client presentations and sufficient publications etc to develop and maintain the team's reputation. This being to aid development and to provide leadership, drive and contribute to Arup Strategies including Sustainable Development and Digital innovation. The ideal candidate would establish Arup in the Midlands as a center of excellence for geoenvironmental services, where appropriate lead recruitment of new skill sets for the team and develop their own business strategy, whilst building a sustainable workload for self and team.Daily duties:
- Lead, collaborate, support, and take responsibility, in a client-facing function for large (£1m+) projects.
- Identify opportunities for the wider Arup offer and geoenvironmental services, as a trusted advisor to clients, both externally and internally
- Provide tangible day-to-day support and leadership of the team, including setting goals, progress, and direction.
- Supervising, mentoring, coaching, and supporting the professional development of staff; managing staff workloads and performance; and providing on-the-job training, etc.
- Engage, support, and take responsibility for the quality of output and technical excellence.
The successful candidate for this role will be:
Rewards and Benefits
- Curious and unconventional - with a strong understanding of regulation and technique but capable of adopting alternative approaches, to get the best result for our projects and clients. Ideally, they would be considered an expert in a number of fields including waste management, permitting, LQAs, EIA, Contaminated land assessment, and ground/groundwater remediation with experience in various sectors and markets including Water, Highways, Rail, Buildings, and regeneration.
- Collaborative and engaging, but comfortable in challenging both the team and regulators to ensure the best solution is achieved.
- Up to date with all relevant regulations and standards, ensuring own continued technical and professional development. Ideally, they would be active externally by participation in industry events, engagement with external advisory and other groups (such as CL: AIRE, the British Geological Society (GeolSoc), conferences, etc.
- Educated to master's level in an appropriate degree/specialty, with Chartership and being an active contributor to an appropriate professional body.
- Digitally focussed - ready to work with our 3D modelling team and experienced in the application of subject-specific software.
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm's financial performance.
Different people, shared values.
At Arup, we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world.
At Arup, we welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and any other protected characteristic. Our internal employee networks - BAME, Culture, Disability, LGBTQ+, and Women - provide a space for you to express your views and to make a positive difference - discover more about life at Arup here.
At Arup, we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best throughout your application.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different, and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our well-being. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply, and we will discuss how this could work in your role.What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application, this will be subject to delays owing to the festive period
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.