Position: Membership manager
Accountable to: Membership director/CEO
Location: London-based and remote
Contract type: Permanent, full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Salary: Up to £40,000 pa plus benefits
The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) is a non-profit body promoting excellence in English language editing. We set and demonstrate editing standards, and we are a community, training hub and support network for editorial professionals – the people who work to make text accurate, clear and fit for purpose.
An experienced membership professional, you’ll be looking for a role in which to lead on membership services, strategy and best practices.
The Institute achieved chartership in 2020 and is building a staff to support its growth. You’ll recognise this as an exciting opportunity. You’ll bring with you commitments to excellent customer service and continuous improvement, and a vision for an association on its way up.
About the role
You’ll work with a small team to administer memberships. You’ll work with the membership director to develop the CIEP’s membership scheme, and collaboratively with them and others on membership recruitment and retention.
You’ll work with the digital services director as we implement a new website and customer relationship management (CRM) system, and you’ll explore how its tools might streamline and scale the CIEP’s operations.
You’ll support the Council (the board) in developing strategy and growing the membership – offering exciting growth opportunity for your own role.
Diversity and equality of opportunity
We are working to dismantle barriers to participation in the CIEP and the editing profession, and we will ensure that no candidate for this role is disadvantaged on the basis of characteristics protected under law, including race, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or religion/belief. Policies such as flexible working aim to support diversity and equity in employment.
Job description and person specification Job description
You’ll administer memberships and develop our member benefits scheme, to include issues of:
- Recruitment and retention
- Engagement, journey and experience
- Communications and compliance
- Management information and reporting.
You’ll build and sustain working relationships with colleagues, members and stakeholders, to include:
- staff, directors and members (including member volunteers)
- CIEP working, local and special interest groups
- subcontractors and suppliers
- partner organisations
- the public.
Administration and member benefits
- Administer memberships at entry point and beyond, building best practices
- Manage the annual subscription renewal process, with timely communications and a proactive approach to non-payments and queries
- Work with the digital services and other directors to refine and maintain online entry and renewal points
- Work with the professional standards director and others to manage membership upgrade processes
- Deliver and develop the member benefits scheme, to include working with third parties.
Recruitment and retention
- Develop efficient mechanisms to monitor and report on organisational key performance indicators
- Work with the membership and other directors to develop member recruitment and retention strategy, build an action plan and define appropriate metrics
- Identify and develop member recruitment and participation pipelines, and work with the marketing and other directors to reach and engage potential members
- Deliver the member lapse survey and analyse results, making recommendations as appropriate.
Engagement, journey and experience
- Work with the membership and digital services directors to develop a customer journey for the CIEP’s new CRM platform
- Work with the communications and community directors to develop and implement a member engagement strategy
- Develop, implement and monitor metrics for member engagement and experience, and report regularly to the Council
- Work with the equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and other directors to ensure inclusion and accessibility on entry and throughout membership.
Communications and compliance
- Work with the information and communications teams to develop and deliver strategic member communications (eg member welcome pack, member handbook) and correspondence
- Ensure that member data is held securely and used in compliance with data protection law (ie UK GDPR).
Management information and reporting
- Work collaboratively to develop, implement and monitor an annual membership plan
- Deliver regular management information to the Council and contribute to its annual report
- Capture and share member feedback towards improved member experience, targeted member benefits and widened member participation.
Person specification Essential experience/knowledge
You will have:
- At least three years’ practical experience managing memberships within a professional body or membership association
- Membership marketing experience, with a focus on member recruitment and retention
- Some experience of delivering multichannel campaigns and using digital marketing tools
- Used one or more CRM and content management systems
- Good data analysis skills and experience of reporting for management information
- Understanding of data protection and other relevant legislation.
You will have a relevant degree or equivalent professional qualification.
- Have excellent organisational skills
- Be results-driven and self-motivated
- Demonstrate the capacity to manage professional relationships and support members
- Have excellent written, verbal, presentation and social media skills
- Be able to work within a multidisciplinary team or independently
- Be able to focus on detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Be eligible to work within the United Kingdom.
- 25 days’ annual leave plus public holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Pension scheme.