Our local authority client has a 12 month contract vacancy (with the possibility of extension) for the role of an Accountant
, details as follows:Job Profile
We are looking for an experienced local government accountant preferably with experience in Waste finances or wider operational type services.
This role will cover the day to day Finance Business Partner functions working with budget holders in Waste, Highways, Streetcare, Greenspace, Licensing and Fleet, with a particular emphasis on waste collection and waste disposal.
Duties involve leading the relationship with Strategic Managers within these services and ensuring all monitoring and day-to-day enquiries are dealt with. Likely to involve some discrete project work around waste disposal/waste collection.
You will be supporting the Senior Business Partner for Housing, Growth and Development Finance and will be responsible for one Assistant Accountant who supports the above named services from a transactional perspective
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- To work as part of a developing commercially focused team to provide financial and commercial advice to a range of services and transformational projects across the Council.
- To provide financial and commercial advice in relation to the procurement, negotiation, implementation and contract management of major Council projects and national finance initiatives...
- To support the delivery of an integrated, robust financial planning process by the provision of high quality, accurate, timely and relevant information.
- To ensure that all strategic and operational plans are supported by the provision of high quality, accurate, timely and relevant information and robust investment appraisals.
- To provide high quality, accurate, relevant and timely monitoring and forecasting information.
- To provide high quality, accurate, relevant and timely financial reporting information to meet statutory and stakeholder needs including service managers, Elected Members, partners, auditors and the public.
- To provide direction, financial advice and guidance to stakeholders/service managers and working groups as required.
- To assist the Team Manager in providing strategic financial direction for the City Council ensuring that all statutory requirements are adhered to and policy and performance standards are met.
- CCAB Qualified with full current membership and CPD participation
- Sound understanding of public sector finance, local government financial accounting and reporting standards, systems and related matters and business options appraisals
- Appreciation of the sensitive nature of a political environment
- An understanding of complex commercial contractual arrangements and payment mechanisms under alternative delivery models including procurement processes and knowledge of risk management and risk sharing protocols.
- Record of success in supporting sustainable improvements with the ability to help translate strategic objectives into operational plans
- A track record of helping to motivate and inspire staff in order to deliver a change agenda and improve service delivery
- Proven success in developing effective working relationships, partnerships with other agencies and communicating and influencing others
- Relevant technical experience in the respective role
- Demonstrable experience of the utilisation of financial information systems
If you have the necessary experience and qualifications to fulfill this role, please submit your CV ASAP.