Our local authority client has a 3 month contract vacancy (with possibility of extension) for the role of a Communications Officer, details as follows:Job Profile
To develop, manage and evaluate communications and engagement campaigns on Council services across a range of channels and media, as part of a multidisciplinary team. To manage the reputation of the Council through effective media relations, social media and stakeholder managementResponsibilities
Experience and Skills
- To develop internal and external communications and engagement plans, campaigns and marketing activities across different media for Council services in accordance with the Council's priorities.
- To develop, write, edit and review content for the Council's communication channels including websites, printed publications, speeches, press releases and social media accounts, ensuring that it is of a high quality, meets corporate standards, is suitable for the target audience, accessible, and useful.
- To liaise with and establish a good rapport with local, national and specialist media, deal with media enquiries, and prepare press releases and statements to represent the Council's position within agreed deadlines. To ensure that media calls and responses are logged appropriately on the Council's systems.
- To ensure a pro-active approach to communications through a positive use of forward planning and meetings with councillors and officers, including cabinet members and senior officers/Directors.
- To take an active role in the development of the Council's social media activities to ensure that the content of the Council's social media profiles is closely monitored and kept up to date. To use social media to engage with residents and help protect the Council's reputation.
- To contribute to the delivery of the Council's corporate web development projects, enabling delivery of online solutions to deliver services efficiently in line with Cabinet priorities.
- To manage consultation and engagement projects in line with the council's priorities including: - carrying out desk research where appropriate - designing consultations using an appropriate mix of consultation methods - write reports on the outcome of engagement and consultation projects - feed back to consultees, stakeholders, senior managers, councillors and partners
- To advise council departments on engagement activity to ensure that it is carried out to a standard that will preserve the Council's reputation and ensure the consultation or engagement is successful.
- To work with designers and contractors to successfully deliver the council's communications, publications and digital services, overseeing the quality of work.
- To provide advice to senior officers, councillors, council departments and contractors and to work with them on a range of communications issues, including providing media training where required and guidance on dealing with the media and conducting interviews. To provide a daily wash up listing all communication issues from each day to keep senior officers and cabinet members informed
Significant experience as a press officer, a communications officer, an engagement officer, journalist or web editor, or equivalent qualification
- A good understanding of the current issues affecting local government and in particular how they impact upon the Council and the way that it communicates with residents.
- Experience of developing and delivering communications and/or community engagement strategies.
- The ability to write clear, concise and accurate copy for a range of publications including websites, press releases, publications and social media.
- A strong news sense and the ability to effectively manage media interest in the Council's activities - often on contentious matters - in a sensitive manner.
- Excellent communication, organisational and presentation skills, together with an ability to prioritise workloads, meet tight deadlines as part of a 24/7 team which operates an out of hours rota.
- Experience of operating standard IT packages including Microsoft Office, content management systems, engagement and media management systems.
- Ability to brief photographers to produce appropriate photographs suitable for use in newspapers and promotional literature.
- Working knowledge of HTML and the ability to tailor digital content to meet accessibility and usability standards.
- Experience of producing digital content, design and/or development of, online forms and other methods of digital engagement, and ability to develop these skills
- Knowledge and experience of using analytical and data gathering tools to improve customer experience and the effectiveness of digital content and campaigns.
If you have the necessary experience and skills to fulfill this role, please submit your CV ASAP.