Our vision is a world where no one has to sleep on the streets of London, and we’re working every day to achieve this. By partnering with churches and community centres to provide shelter and support, Glass Door is committed to supporting people get—and stay—off the street.
Join Glass Door Homeless Charity’s Board and help us deepen our impact. We are looking for a new Finance Trustee to support the Board with finance expertise.
What will you be doing?
Glass Door’s financial needs cover the day to day activities of running the Charity as well as the longer term strategic aims and ensuring the Charity’s future is safeguarded.
As a Finance Trustee, you will be a legal Director of Glass Door Homeless Charity Ltd. Within the Board of Trustees, you will join the Treasurer in taking the lead on all financial matters pertaining to the Charity. As a Board member, you will have a full overview of all of Glass Door’s operations and be an integral part of directing the Charity’s future.
The Charity has a strong internal finance team, with a Head of Finance & Resources, a Finance Assistant and an external bookkeeper, who also runs payroll. The Trustee is not involved in the day to day activities (bar releasing payment runs) but is required to fully understand what is happening and know the position of the Charity. Ad hoc analysis for the Trustees or support to staff may be required.
Regular activities/ areas for review include:
- Keeping a close eye on our reserves and cash.
- Review of budgets and reforecasts to present to the board for approval.
- Financial input into strategic options and projects undertaken.
- Review, approval and signing of the statutory accounts.
- Awareness of the financial and compliance implications from other areas of the Charity’s activities (Fundraising, Winter Operations, Casework).
- Sign off of payment runs.
- Input into the Pay & Benefits committee.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone willing to bring energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the role, and who will broaden the diversity of thinking on our Board. You will have:
- Financial qualification (ACA, ACCA) and a minimum of 5 years PQE.
- No restrictions (eg from current employer) from being a bank signatory for the Charity.
- Experience of running a SME or a charity’s finances and understand the breadth of the P&L and B/S accounts.
- Experience of Charity accounting an advantage.
- Willingness and ability to understand and accept the responsibilities and liabilities as Trustees, to act in the best interests of the Charity and to abide by the charity's Code of Conduct.
- An ability to think creatively and strategically, exercise good, independent judgement and work effectively and collaboratively as a Board member and with the staff.
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion.
- A strong personal commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Willingness to bring new ideas and work as part of the Trustee body in line with the vision and ethos of Glass Door.
Glass Door values diversity, promotes equality and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from people with lived experiences of homelessness or the broader causes of homelessness.
Although Glass Door services often take place within churches or church-owned properties, please note individuals with connections to a variety of faiths or none work for, volunteer at, and use the services of Glass Door.
What difference will you make?
Your advice and guidance will be essential as the Charity grows. You will support the Finance Team to deliver high standards of legal, regulatory and governance compliance in light of changing requirements and best practice.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Our vision is a world where no one has to sleep on the streets of London and we’re working every day to achieve this. Your role as a Trustee will offer you an incredibly rewarding experience to use your skills and collaborate with the rest of the Board and staff members for the benefit of people experiencing homelessness.
A few more details
- Once appointed, Trustees are expected to serve a minimum 3 year term of office.
- This is a voluntary position, but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
- A full induction will be provided.
The Board meets at least 6 times a year, most recently via Zoom. Monthly meeting with the Head of Finance and Resources and the CEO. Please see pack.
Before you apply
Please email your covering letter and your CV or similar (LinkedIn profile, portfolio, etc.) to email@example.com. Please make sure that you include the following information in your cover letter: why you are interested in joining our Board; Your relevant skills and experience (see Who we are looking for in the candidate pack) and how you think you could apply your skills and experience to strengthen our Board.
Deadline: 31 Jan 2022