Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers' objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values - ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants - integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver. Project Summary:
Bechtel is helping an ambitious programme to deliver multiple data centres across 10 African countries. This programme will initially provide at least 70MW capacity of much needed interconnected carrier and cloud-neutral data facilities in this currently under-served and rapidly expanding market. Bechtel will provide central programme management and in-country deployed teams to deliver engineering, procurement and construction services tailored to location specific requirements. This is a great opportunity to develop with this fast-moving customer while helping Data Centre Teams in various African locations including:
• Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa
• Nairobi and Mombasa, Kenya
• Lagos, Nigeria
• and other cities across Africa Role Description:
Lead the management of risk within the project, through facilitate identification, assessment and management of the risks (threats and opportunities). Engage the project leadership to actively participate in the process, generating a positive risk culture with proactive action. Reports to:
Project Director - On project
Corporate Project Controls Functional Manager - Functionally
Corporate PERM Manager - Functionally Accountabilities:
Assurance responsibility - Undertake all responsibilities and tasks in accordance with project charter, policies, strategies, processes, and procedures.
Health, safety, security, and environment (HSSE) - Proactive commitment to achieving zero injuries, zero incidents and zero compromise. Key responsibilities and tasks:
• Manage project risk through the facilitation of risk workshops at all project levels and function/task level; for each city.
• Act as the programme's risk lead; provide all risk management services required, including reporting.
• Is in contact and helps Customer's risk management program by communicating project risk information and engaging them when necessary on the project processes.
• Help the Project Controls Manager in ensuring that all project team members comply with the risk management plans and procedures, and other risk specific requirements for their assigned scope of work.
• Help and produce detailed project risk reports as required within the programme's reporting cycle.
• Help continuous improvement of risk management activities within the project team through identifying and recommending improvements for implementation.
• Administrator for the risk tools and systems that provide the interface between project functions, Customers, and other stakeholders.
• Facilitates the preparation of risk treatment, provides a platform to plan risk treatment.
• Improve and encourage a proactive risk management Culture, increase awareness in the team of potential challenges linked to uncertain events, guide personnel on how to assess those risks (threats and opportunities) to understand the causes and consequences. Prioritize which risks are more critical for the several project to focus on what matters the most. Then, help the team to design effective response plans to mitigate threat or exploit the opportunity
• Communicate effectively with the team the importance of risk and the conclusion on the intel found on every risk cycle to the leaders of the organization
• Have a clear understanding of what does each project function do.
• Able to influence personnel in different functions and facilitate them working in a coordinate and efficient manner.
• Assist in the continuous improvement of procedures as necessary to ensure that risk management is embedded within the project going forwards. Person specification: Education and professional qualifications:
Skills and experience:
- Technical or Professional degree in a compatible field with project management
- At least 5 years of relevant project risk management experience in projects (not finance industry). Has worked full time as Risk professional.
- Qualifications in risk management
Shaping tomorrow together Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we've completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
- Sound knowledge of risk management processes and procedures (ISO 31000)
- Experience in producing detailed programme and project level risk management reports to tight deadlines
- Comfortable in producing high quality presentations and training sessions
- Demonstrated experience of delivering high standard risk management function within construction or engineering industry
- Experience in delivery and communication of risk management processes and procedures at all levels
- Able to articulate schedule risk data to non-specialist audiences
- Problem solving skills, able to demonstrate complex, quantitative research and analytical thinking
- Motivation skills, able to work autonomously or in a team environment, motivating self and others
- Able to build and manage working relationships at all stakeholder levels, including the customer
- Characteristics and attributes:
- Presentations and facilitation skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- Strong Interpersonal skills to interface with senior representatives from Customer and external stakeholders
- Able to work independently
- Able to oversee and direct the efforts of others
- Able to work to and meet tight deadlines
www.bechtel.com Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.