Clifford Chance has the world's leading global finance practice. Our Finance Group is the biggest team in the firm and combines a multi-disciplinary practice which stands out from our competitors for the range, calibre and international scope of the deals we handle and the advice we provide. It is significant that we are client-focused rather than product-focused. This means that we can and do adapt to our clients' needs as their markets and priorities change.
Our award-winning team is ranked in Band 1 in Chambers & Partners Global Banking & Finance category and our high-quality and ground-breaking international practice continues to be one of the most highly respected in the market.
Who you will work with
You will be part of our General Finance team, which remains at the cutting edge of the market.
You will be delivering advice to a wide range of clients, including banks, financial institutions, corporates and private equity funds.
The General Finance team in London is made up of 18 Partners and approximately 70 lawyers and trainees.
What you will be responsible for
Lawyers in our group have the opportunity to gain top quality experience across the following diverse range of work:
- Syndicated lending
- Leveraged and Acquisition finance
- Structured finance
- Fund Financing including subscription-line facilities
- Project finance and ECA backed financing
- High Yield bonds
Our lawyers are therefore given the chance to experience a tremendous variety of work. There is no pressure to specialise in any particular area although, as lawyers become more senior, they often choose to focus more heavily on a couple of areas of the group's practice.
Also, much of the work is very innovative, and rarely are two deals the same. So, far from being bound by precedent, you will need to bring fresh, creative thinking to your work. The group acts as the first point of client contact for complex and novel arrangements. As a result its lawyers need (and will acquire) a detailed understanding of other banking and capital markets products so as to manage the delivery of multi product financing arrangements for clients' business and products.
As a lawyer at Clifford Chance your remit will be to apply your full knowledge of the law by identifying legal issues, drafting documents and advising clients - we will expect you to:
- Have responsibility for drafting legal documents clearly and concisely.
- Create solutions using your legal knowledge, applying effective research techniques.
- Challenge and test advice against legal compliance and risks.
- Be proactive to pursue and expand legal knowledge to ensure legal knowledge and technical expertise up to date.
- Utilise client focus initiatives in terms of driving understanding and monitoring service levels of their individual client needs.
- Engage with knowledge resources effectively and collaborate in knowledge initiatives for the Firm.
- Manage matters with a disciplined practice - comprising of timely timesheet submission, adhering to matter opening and conflicts clearance processes.
- Adopt best delivery tools: e.g. templates, Legal Support Centre, Resource Management, Legal Project Managers, Matter Balance Reports.
Your career experience so far
We are seeking a qualified junior to mid-level lawyer who can demonstrate proven post-qualification experience in finance. Your knowledge and experience will probably have been gained at a leading practice with a reputation for work in this area.
We expect an outstanding academic history and proven first rate legal skills, combined with a strong reputation amongst clients for providing commercial solutions, excellent transactional and management skills.
You will naturally be able to demonstrate excellent document drafting skills. You should also demonstrate strong communication and analytical skills, along with a high level of commercial awareness and will have had strong exposure of collaborating with multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary teams.
It is crucial that you can demonstrate an appetite for business development, client relationship management and thought leadership.
How we will support you
- From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to grow and develop your skills and knowledge through formal training, informal coaching and mentoring as well as skills-based and technical training and on the job learning.
- We are pioneers with an unrivalled knowledge of the market and we have worked on many of the market leading transactions.
- We advise on the biggest, most interesting and most high-profile transactions. The range, calibre and international scope of our deal flow is unique - and makes us stand out from our competitors.
- As well as recruiting the best people, we insist on the professional development of all our employees. Our lawyers work continuously to develop both legal and personal skills through the training programmes offered by the 'in-house' law education system, the Clifford Chance Academy.
- We offer all our lawyers an opportunity for secondment, whether to one of our overseas offices or to a London based client, subject to the current restrictions under which we are all required to operate.
- We are proud of our reputation for being a very informal, meritocratic and diverse group and reinforce this with regular social events - both ad hoc and organised.
- Our Innovation and tech strategy is a key focus for us and at the forefront of everything we do. We have invested heavily in process improvement, legal project management, lower cost delivery centres (in Delhi and Newcastle) and technology solutions to increase efficiencies on corporate transactions and help control the cost of our services to our clients.
About the Firm
Whatever your area of expertise, you will find a range of career opportunities at Clifford Chance. And wherever you're heading, Clifford Chance is where you can be true to your ambitions.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures and languages. In a world where commercial success increasingly relies on globalisation, we offer clients a truly international perspective, and we offer our people a rewarding and stimulating career.
We're proud of our approachable, friendly and team-based way of working. Highly professional and self-assured, with an entrepreneurial streak, our people are more than happy to share their expertise and knowledge.
To find out more:
Interested? To find out more about what it is like to work at Clifford Chance in the London office please visit our careers site
At Clifford Chance we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm. Find out more here.
Competitive Salary and discretionary bonus, plus a range of exceptional benefits including pension, private medical cover, life insurance and income replacement insurance.