CiC Senior Project Designer
CiC Lead Design Engineer
West Ham, Borehamwood or Bury St Edmunds
Connections, Competition in Connections
Job Family Level/Grade
£58,804 + car + benefits
7th December 2021
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
* Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
* Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
* Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
* Season ticket loan
* Occupational Health support
* Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
* Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
* Discounted access to sports and social clubs
* Employee Assistance Programme.
The role of the Senior Project Designer involves the management and coordination of a large portfolio of new connection and network alteration projects designed and installed by Independent Connection Providers (ICPs) across all 3 license areas in UK Power Networks footprint.
The Senior Project Designer will be dealing with domestic and commercial enquiries from Independent Connection Providers, Independent Distribution Network Operators and other customers from initial contact for point of connection to the UKPN distribution network through to final design acceptance, delivery and business closure.
The Senior Project Designer requires a high level of technical awareness, with a good understanding of the electricity network to be able to interpret and assess customer requirements.
* Support the CiC Design Manager in the day to day running of the team
* Effectively manage own workload and that of the wider team
* Produce accurate, cost reflective quotations in accordance with the prescribed timescales in SLC15 and SLC12
* Produce and issue cost variations at request of our delivery partners or end customer
* Produce non-contestable works designs and review third party contestable works design submissions; ensuring they conform with all relevant UKPN technical standards and Codes of Practice
* Ensure compliance with the current CDM regulations, from a design perspective
* Professional liaison with customers, their agents and company partners to gain the information required to complete a quotation or review a contestable works design.
* Consistent knowledge and application of the Design and Connection Charging Policies and relevant Codes of Practice.
* Production of work packs satisfying all safety and delivery requirements
* Close liaison with the CiC Delivery colleagues and other delivery partners, to ensure projects are delivered to meet both technical and financial targets
* Assist in resolving and responding to customer queries, liaising with other UK Power Networks staff as required
* Review legal plans from a design perspective and assist delivery colleagues to ensure legal completion is achieved prior to connection
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
* Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
* Able and willing to travel between the core UKPN office locations
* A good understanding of UK Power Networks' electrical distribution system between 400V and 33kV, within the three network areas
* Appreciation of the broader Competition in Connections market, especially the CiC Code of Practice work-streams
* An awareness of the section's business, environmental, safety, financial, and regulatory obligations (SLC15, SLC12 & SLC52)
* Self-motivated with the ability to work in a pressured environment as part of a highly focused team, with minimum supervision to meet tight deadlines
* Initiative with a bias for action and problem resolution
* Ability to build good working relationships with colleagues and other teams within UK Power Networks and also with external stakeholders
Nature and Scope:
The Competition in Connections (CiC) team is managed by the Head of Competition in Connections and is part of the Connections directorate. The Senior Project Designer will report directly to the CiC Design Manager, who in turn reports to the Head of CiC. The Senior Project Designer will work alongside a number of Senior Project Designers, Project Designers, Technical Support Assistants and Business Support Assistants.
The CiC Design Team is responsible for all ICP and IDNO requests for new or altered electricity connections, across all three network areas. All works are customer orientated and the design team have to manage their time to meet customer expectations whilst remaining compliant with several Licence Conditions.
The CiC team encourages designers to develop their capabilities. The concept of dual networking (working across two network areas) and tri-networking (across all three areas) is central to the development of CiC Project Designers.
The Senior Project Designer should be fully aligned and wholly comfortable with UK Power Networks vision and values.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Apply now "
Find similar jobs