I am currently recruiting for a Head of Compliance for a medium sized law firm in the heart of the City.
The main purpose of the role is to lead the firm's compliance department, reporting to the COLP and
MLCO, and acting as the firm's MLRO.
While the main purpose of the role is to manage a team carrying out Client Due Diligence in accordance with the firm's take on procedures, the role also involves dealing with general compliance and professional conduct issues to ensure the firm's compliance with the SRA Standards and Regulations and other legal matters and assisting and with dealing with broader financial crime matters (such as AML, sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption).
In addition to being a CDD/AML subject matter expert, you will take the lead on client onboarding (including the maintenance of the supporting policies and procedures and recommendations for system changes) and work with the COLP and the MLCO to update and maintain all other policies, controls and procedures for firm.
* Effectively leading a team of experienced Risk & Compliance staff;
* Overseeing CDD and risk assessments for new clients and matters, providing guidance and advice to the business on a range of compliance risk issues and taking the lead on high-risk issues;
* Demonstrating commercial awareness and understanding of the Firm's strategic objectives in the context of the regulatory environment;
* Running sanction checks and follow processes in relation to safeguarding the Firm from sanctions risk;
* Guidance and training staff on AML and compliance matters;
* Monitoring regulatory requirements of the legal profession in the UK;
* Advising and supporting the COLP and MLCO in relation to the review and maintenance of policies, controls, procedures and systems;
* Assisting with the handling of complaints;
* Managing and undertaking client file reviews, audits and health checks;
* Completing SRA applications;
* Manage the firm's list of all matters on "block";
* Manage the register of undertakings;
* Manage and ensure compliance with the firm's gifts/hospitality policy;
* Manage PI claims and client complaints;
* Assist the COLP with investigated any internal breaches of the SRA Standards and Regulations;
* Manage the Records Management Policy and ensure timely archiving of files;
* Ad-hoc compliance tasks as instructed by the Compliance Manager/COLP/COFA.
The firm is ideally looking for somebody with previous experience of working in a law firm, with previous experience in AML checks, good knowledge of AML regulations and experience of applying them and an understanding of different, complex, transaction types.
For further information, please get in touch with us at RB Recruit