Finance Manager with the Isle of Wight Council
Your New Organisation
The Isle of Wight Council is located on the Isle of Wight near the south coast of England. The council is responsible for the full range all local government activities on the Island. The Isle of Wight Council was created in 1995 as a unitary or all-purpose authority, covering the Isle of Wight.
It is a very exciting and rewarding time to be part of the finance team working in a challenging environment to deliver the Medium-Term Financial Strategy and as a key contributor to the council achieving its ambitious new corporate plan for the Island.
Your New Role
To provide a full accounting, budgeting, , financial advice and information service to the council, with particular regard to Revenue Funding, Capital Accounting, and Collection Fund Accounting. Also, to contribute to the medium-term financial strategy to ensure that the council can plan and safeguard its resources in order to deliver a sustainable financial position.
This position will be expected to act as the deputy for the Strategic Manager - Corporate and Technical Finance.
What you'll need to succeed
* A wide-ranging knowledge of local authority or other public sector finance statutory accounting requirements, regulations and policies.
* Excellent knowledge of the capital accounting framework for local government.
* The ability to keep up to date with regulatory developments such as changes to codes of practice e.g. the Prudential Code, Statutory Guidance on MRP and Local Authority Investments.
* Play a key role in ensuring the finance system (SAP) is fit for purpose and technical developments are incorporated into the finance process including any changes to practice/policy that may be required.
* Use expert knowledge and experience to provide advice and to interpret and recommend policy, creatively resolve complex issues, proactively anticipate problems and design and deliver innovative solutions which enhance the quality and efficiency of the service and the reputation of the council and partners.
* Excellent communication and influencing skills to ensure colleagues, senior managers, external contractors and elected members understand and comply with financial regulations
* Excellent ICT skills are required in particular Excel.
* Excellent planning and organisational skills
* Excellent leadership skills to inspire motivate and develop team members to high levels of performance.
* Full CCAB Accountancy Qualification
What you'll get is return
* A salary of up to £54,035 per annum (pay award pending)
* An excellent local government pension scheme
* A generous annual leave entitlement of 31 days per annum, plus public holidays
* A relocation scheme of up to £8,000 subject to qualifying criteria
* Discounted island sports & leisure gym membership
* Solent ferry travel discounts via Red Funnel, Wightlink and Hovertravel
* Cycle to work scheme
* Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVC) pension scheme
Closing date: November 30th 2021 (please note we may close this advert earlier if we have sufficient applications)