"Engineering is the collaboration of diverse personalities and innovative use of technologies to construct sustainable solutions."
Do you like to know how things work? Do you have an inquisitive mind and like to think about how things operate?
If so, then our Advanced Engineering Technician Apprenticeship covers a vast array of opportunities. In this four year apprenticeship you will be given a strong grounding in practical and theoretical Engineering principles, as well as the opportunity to gain work experience in Engineering with on the job training through placements.
What does the Apprenticeship involve?
- You will undertake your training at the Academy for Skills and Knowledge at Samlesbury
- You will complete your Level 2 apprenticeship standard
- You will be trained in both practical and theory-based engineering
- You will learn the basics to give you a grounding for completing your placements in Engineering
- One day a week at college
Years two, three and four
- Most placements will be office/home based using computer based tools with interaction with our customers, suppliers and aircraft.
- You will continue with academic studies and learning, this includes completing a HNC in aeronautical Engineering which will require one day a week at college
- You will complete six placements across various programmes within the Air business
- The six placements will give you the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of engineering areas including design, systems, in-service support, flight test, mission systems and integration
- You will gain experience on all stages of an aircraft lifecycle, giving you a well-rounded skill set and knowledge base.
In the final six months you'll complete an End Point Assessment, where you'll create a portfolio of tasks that you've completed in your role and present them to an assessor to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and behaviours that you've developed throughout the scheme.
Five GCSEs grade 9-4/ A*-C (or equivalent) including maths, English and science/technical subject
If you already hold a Level 3 or 90+ credits in a BTEC Engineering Subject or equivalent, please note you may be transferred to a Level 4 Engineering Technician apprenticeship after 12 - 18 months to aid your personal development. Please also consider applying for the Level 6 Engineering Degree Apprenticeship Schemes in Aerospace or Software.
Overview of business unit
The Air sector is a world leader in the aerospace industry with expertise that can be traced back to the very earliest days of aviation.
We design and build advanced training and combat aircraft; develop and work with the latest in cutting-edge technology; and provide support and maintenance for our customers across the world
By joining our 23,000-strong global workforce, you could directly contribute to some of our leading aircraft including the Eurofighter Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II or our next generation of aircraft, in the UK or at one of our international sites. Whether you're providing direct support to our customers, ensuring our programmes run to time and cost or influencing the design and manufacture of our products, you'll be completing work that counts.
We're looking for people who are passionate about delivering excellence, analysing and improving what and how we deliver our services.
We believe in investing in our people and inspiring continual innovation in our business. Developing and using the latest technology and process to compete with the world's best is at the heart of what we do.
Providing world-class training, support and development to our people means we inspire the very best talent to achieve great things.
Security / export control
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Working with us
At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.