What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK's ultimate deterrent - Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
AWE is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer to provide expertise to the Warhead Engineering Sub-Function in support of AWE Programmes. You will apply engineering methods, tools and processes to complex warhead engineering tasks and provide guidance/mentoring to inexperienced engineers about the practical use of engineering methods, tools and processes.
Location - Reading/Basingstoke area
Salary - £33,850 - £50,800 (dependent on skills and experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement - 270 hours a year (inclusive of Bank Holidays) plus every other Friday off
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package (terms & conditions apply)
- Expedite the planning and execution of tasks in order to deliver specific agreed objectives on time; demonstrating control of cost and quality
- Lead and influence collaborative working and contribute towards the achievement of project goals
- Expedite progress of designs through product lifecycle
- Understand hazards and associated risks of any work conducted and, where required, safely use specialised equipment
- Lead the delivery of conceptual designs, detail designs, manufacturing specifications, operational documentation and validation evidence for mechanical engineering solutions in relation to defined requirements
- Produce high quality scoping documents, plans and estimates for future activities
- Where appropriate, discharge the role of professional mentor
Whilst not considered a checklist, candidates would benefit from experience in the following:
- Production and delivery of high-quality technical reports and presentations
- Identifying and supporting opportunities for cost savings, efficiency and business improvement
- Managing stakeholder partnerships to both internal and external customers
- Aiding development of less experienced engineers through formal and informal, technical mentoring
- Organising personal training and development under the guidance of a professional mentor
To be considered for the role you will have an HNC/HND or degree qualification in an engineering discipline coupled with proven experience working in a similar environment and possess strong communication skills.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions. AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and people with disabilities.