This role sits within the Category Delivery Directorate in the organisation. The successful candidates may deliver on some or all the following activities:
Pre-Sourcing & Sourcing:
1. Responsible for establishing and maintaining a category management structure within the organisations Commercial Function. This covers the totality of the procurement life-cycle, and will result in best-in-class procurement and contract management processes based upon the candidate's deep commercial and category expertise
2. Provide specialist category expertise to enable delivery of creative and innovative market leading commercial solutions
3. Own development and delivery of the commercial category strategy including planning, governance and performance management. Perform procurement reporting and analysis of management information to identify improvement opportunities.
4. Support and input into a progressive commercial strategy for the specification, procurement and management of all contracted and outsourced activity
5. Ensure agreed category cost savings, efficiencies and value add targets are delivered
6. Responsible for cascading guidance and direction on commercial principles and good practice and ensuring the correct application of commercial rules and principles apply when delivering the organisations business
7. Ensure business continuity and that robust contingencies are in place for critical delivery
8. Lead and support the development of key documentation including business cases and tender documentation
9. Negotiate Commercial Agreements with third parties, coordinating interfaces and integrating across contracts and suppliers
10. Lead the development and creation of contracts
11. Take overall responsibility for the performance of suppliers and manage underperformance to resolution. This includes leading mediation and dispute resolution
12. Lead transition management, exit strategy and contract renegotiations including driving value from the use of performance metrics and success criteria
1. Lead or support or create opportunities to improve performance and value across all classified contracts
2. Managing aspects of the delivery of the organisations Commercial contract management including contract performance management, contract variation and amendments, and ensuring contracts deliver against scope
3. Manage Contract negotiations and renewals
4. Manage Contract disputes and issues and liaise with Legal Team
5. Develop and manage deep knowledge of Commercial contracts, ensuring they are up to date and compliant
6. Develop and maintain expert knowledge of respective supplier markets and understand how their categories are evolving in the market to provide expert advice on relevant regulation and compliance issues
7. Deliver and embed robust Supplier Relationship Management processes and procedures, in line with GCO Standards
8. Chairing monthly supplier reviews including key stakeholders for the organisation.
9. Establishing clear, concise and objective management reporting and KPIs on progress, status, issues and risks.
Process, Policy and Risk Management:
1. Manage Commercial contribution to all Change Requests and Project Requests
2. Maintain comprehensive audit trails and justifications for price control
3. Be responsible for implementing and maintaining adherence to the department's risk management framework
4. Oversee risk register to ensure risk owners across all levels of the department manage risks and put relevant controls in
5. Engage with staff at all levels as appropriate to ensure that risk management remains visible, accessible, proportionate and relevant to all those involved in decision-making
6. Lead on continuous improvement activity, supporting the design and implementation of new policies and procedures in line with Commercial best practice
7. Ensure that effective financial management arrangements are in place for all contracts. This includes financial monitoring, budgetary controls, approving invoices and generally establishing financial control arrangements which provide absolute assurance that the financial terms of the contract are met including responsibility for any adjustments or deductions as applicable.
1. Develop strong strategic relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders to maximise opportunities to collaborate, achieve efficiencies, improve capability and promote the procurement profession.
2. Lead or support the development or create opportunities to improve commercial leverage and drive best practice across all categories
3. Provide consistent and clear commercial advice and guidance to internal and external stakeholders and be a key point of contact to the department
4. Ensure the Department is compliant with all relevant Government, EU and Departmental policies, regulations and legislation
5. Comply with Civil Service policies and procedures; this includes ensuring that responses to Freedom of Information Requests and Parliamentary Questions are handled robustly and accurately
6. Develop a commercially focused culture within the team and work to develop relationships with key stakeholders to improve commercial understanding across the business.
7. Proactively support the professional development of all team members, taking responsibility for the ongoing performance and development of staff and performance of the team as a whole.
8. Create an environment that enables empowerment and support of the team.
9. Work collaboratively to deliver the team's vision and objectives
10. Provide leadership direction, standards and advice to the wider Commercial department, contributing to the culture of meeting the highest commercial standards and continuous learning and improvement