Charity in Context
We believe that everybody should have the opportunity to lead happy, healthy lives. YMCA Fairthorne Group (YMCA) is a community-based charity that brings people of all backgrounds and abilities together in YMCA places to identify and deliver effective programmes that meet their needs.
We operate throughout Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton, from 30 venues, engaging with over 40,000 people every year. Programmes include multiple early years settings, Daycamps, community activities, the annual national Young Carers Festival, and supportive housing for young people and families experiencing homelessness.
YMCA has multiple income streams, the largest of which is fees charged for services, and we have long-term sustainability. We are seeking to grow our fundraised income so we can rapidly grow the programmes we offer in communities and enable investment into infrastructure. YMCA has a successful record in many forms of fundraising, however individual giving fundraising is relatively new to us and has huge potential to grow. We wish to work in a creative and up-to-date way to maximise income available from supporters. This role will be part of a small integrated marketing and fundraising team.
We already work to a community development model, whereby we seek to inspire people to lead in their communities. In addition, our site at Fairthorne Manor generates a particularly strong sense of belonging for those who connect to it.
This role will work with the fundraising and marketing team to design, develop and deliver IG activities and campaigns, and to steward customers, donors and other supporters towards giving regularly. Our ultimate measure of financial success is lifetime value across all forms of engagement with YMCA.
The YMCA Way describes how we design and deliver programmes that achieve our Purpose. It consists of four equally weighted elements. The elements in combination generate quality programmes, offering opportunities for individual and community growth, thereby contributing to our Purpose "we believe that everybody should have the opportunity to lead healthy, happy lives".
Values: Welcoming, Active, Listening, Inspiring, Caring, Exciting.
Community-led: means we undertake activities the community wishes us to do, and wishes to be involved in.
Evidence led: We are led by evidence to create, change or improve activities that contribute to our Purpose and strategic objectives.
Our Behaviours: We model behaviours derived from our values through all interactions with children, families, the community, and each other.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• At all times work within the YMCA Way
• Using market-centric approaches, informed by current research, design, develop and deliver activities that lead to Individual Giving
• Steward existing and new prospects to secure Regular Giving
• Lead on design and delivery of specific campaigns, with support from the team
• Maintain and develop relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, working to create a culture whereby we are all giving-minded
• Help internal stakeholders understand how and when to identify prospects
• Be the first point of call for legacy enquirers
• Work with the fundraising and marketing, and community teams in an integrated way to maximise the lifetime value and experience of all supporters, regardless of form of support
• Work with the fundraising and marketing team to establish information systems that promote successful stewardship and prevent the creation of silos
• Maintain records and regularly report
• Ensure adherence to brand, ethics and fundraising priorities
• Participate in other fundraising and engagement activities as applicable, including events
• Act in the interests of your own safety & the safety of others at all times
• Anything else reasonably requested by the management of the charity.
Person Specification & Key Competencies Qualifications and Experience:
• Success at raising funds through individual giving
• Experience of developing successful campaigns
• Experience of applying stewardship into supporter journeys
• Excellent IT skills, including Office 365
• Education to level 6 or equivalent professional qualification / professional experience
• Evidence of recent professional development related to trends in fundraising.
• A genuine enthusiasm for helping people to achieve happy, healthy lives
• Ability to think innovatively and creatively, and respond positively to new opportunities
• Enjoy autonomy and being at the beginning of new initiatives
• Outstanding communication skills
• Friendly and approachable manner
• Ability to work under pressure and accurately to deadlines.