YoungMinds is the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people's mental health. We are seeking a trustee with a heartfelt affinity for our cause and proven financial expertise to join our Board.
What will you be doing?
Our Lead Finance Trustee is a critical role on the Board to support its oversight and responsibilities in ensuring we are using our finances to meet our mission and purpose and meeting our legal requirements. This role is a member of the Audit & Risk Committee, a Non-Executive Director of the charity’s trading subsidiary, as well as sitting on the Board of trustees. It works closely with the Chair of the Board and fellow members of the Audit & Risk Committee to ensure appropriate scrutiny and oversight of the charity’s finances, in compliance with the charity’s governing document. The role leads on oversight of the financial viability of the charity and its strategic plans, as well as key policies and assurances that the appropriate systems and controls are adopted. Integral to this is the productive working with the CEO, Senior Leadership Team and Financial Controller in monitoring the financial administration of the charity and reporting to the Board of trustees.
This responsibility of this role sits in addition to wider trustee responsibilities and therefore we are seeking someone able to commit to an anticipated total of 18 to 20 days a year to support this.
What are we looking for?
- Financial leader in a business or charity within the last three years
- Able to bring a commercial mind-set to performance, risk and growth of a charity
- Hold a recognised financial qualification (CCAB or equivalent)
- Experience of strategic risk management
- Able to distil complex information and bring a pragmatic approach to its application.
- Empowerment and coaching style to support and develop financial staff.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, including influencing skills to inspire trust and confidence quickly.
What's in it for the volunteer?
You will have the opportunity to:
- Deepen your skills and experience by applying this to a different sector and/or organisation
- Leadership development in supporting and empowering both staff and wider trustees in 1 of 2 'lead' roles on the board.
- Playing a fundamental role in the sustainable scaling of the charity based upon strong and effective financial planning and management
- Have an impact on an organisation and cause you care about
- Influence and have impact at a critical time in young people's mental health
It is anticipated that the commitment is 18 to 20 days per year
A few more details
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to formal interview with a panel made up of trustees, relevant staff and a member of our Youth Panel anticipated to take place week commencing 13 December. Selected candidates will be taken through to a further stage of informal meeting our Chair and Director of Development. It is envisaged that all interviews will be virtual.
Before you apply
Applications are through the Reach Volunteering platform.
To find out more, please download the Role Canvas below. If you would like to apply for the role, we ask that you first click on the 'Apply' button to send us an updated CV. Please note that there is no need to complete the "My message to the organisation" section when sending your CV, as YoungMinds will contact you with full details of the application process, which will include a set of questions to give us a sense of your interest and what you could bring to the organisation as a trustee.
Deadline: 29 Nov 2021